hatchling sleeps/hides most of the day?

mattramsfan76

hey everyone i know i post a lot of questions on here but i just want to make sure that everything I'm doing is correct. so my hatchling leopard sleeps and or hides for a large majority of the day. the only time she comes out is a few times a day when she eats and when i take her out to soak (twice a day). her hides are misted everyday and the enclosure is misted at least twice a day so its always moist in there and the hot side basking spot runs around 100-102 and the cool side is around 75-80. just want to make sure this is normal as i have read that leopard torts are very active.... maybe mine is still getting use to everything. i have had her for a week and 2 days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know where you read that leopard torts are very active. They are usually very shy and reclusive. Many people call them "pretty rocks". Many on this forum don't agree, and there are certainly exceptions, but this is what I typically observe.

I'd get your cool side just a little warmer, and there is no need to soak more than once a day.

With time and patience, your tortoises will settle in and get more comfortable. Usually by three years old, if they have been hand fed and desensitized, most of them relax a bit and become less wary and more outgoing.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
This is probably the question I get most often from my customers. People get a tortoise and expect it to do cool tricks and entertain them. Tortoise in general sleep, a lot. Babies especially. As long as your temps are where they need to be all is well.

mattramsfan76

Arizona Sulcata said:
This is probably the question I get most often from my customers. People get a tortoise and expect it to do cool tricks and entertain them. Tortoise in general sleep, a lot. Babies especially. As long as your temps are where they need to be all is well.
Lol. I wasn't expecting it to do like dog tricks or anything. Just wanted to make sure she was acting like a normal tort. She eats like a champ and seems to enjoy her life of leisure. Thanks you guy. :D:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i know i post a lot of questions on here but i just want to make sure that everything I'm doing is correct.

LOL....I do believe that is what this Forum is for dear.....ask away ;)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Re: RE: hatchling sleeps/hides most of the day?

mattramsfan76 said:
Arizona Sulcata said:
Lol. I wasn't expecting it to do like dog tricks or anything. Just wanted to make sure she was acting like a normal tort. She eats like a champ and seems to enjoy her life of leisure. Thanks you guy. :D:D

Haha I known, sometimes my sarcastic side comes out and I lack self control. :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi's Freckles is the exception and not the rule. That little guy is a whirling dervish!