Hatchling Sulcata not eating

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Location (City and/or State)
Ok, Ok
Our new sulcata is not eating has been for days, she'll is fine, and he/she is alone, so No bullying, 100 watt heat lamp, and uv lamp, 80 on the cool side. I tried the hard pellet food, which I was told they was eating, he wouldn't touch it, cut up small amounts of romaine, but Choy, and carrots diced up, and can't really see where he has touched it, bought some soft pellets, and I think he ate 1, after his soak this evening he seemed a little better, but still not eating so far, also his eyes don't seem to be open much, if at all. Please help, thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

First things first: hard pellet food needs to be softened in water before offering it!

It is not uncommon for tortoises to be spooked by moving to a new home and stop eating. They have to relax and decide nothing wants to eat them before they get brave.

I recommend a routine for a new tortoise so they learn what to expect and when.
- Have the lights on a timer. They need to be on full and bright for 14 hours a day with complete darkness at night. The temperature must not drop below 80 day or night, so a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat is necessary to maintain this. No coloured bulbs!

- First thing in the morning, before your tort has warmed up properly, soak it for at least 20 minutes in warm water. Use a large flat bottomed bowl that your tort can’t see over or through - a washing up bowl is ideal. Daily soaks are essential for young sullies and also essential for torts that aren’t eating properly.

- While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.

- Replace your tort and walk away leaving it to be brave and explore. You are big and scary right now so your tort will be intimidated by your presence; resist the temptation to watch. Your tort will soon come round, but some are quicker than others on the uptake.

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting to see if there are any improvements we would recommend.

Please read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort should be eating weedy and leafy greens and getting soaks of at least 20 minutes in warm water.

It will benefit from a tiny sprinkle of calcium powder on food three times a week - no more as you can overdo it.

It can’t digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods like fruit, tomato, carrot and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Cucumber and lettuce contain little fibre and and few nutrients so should also be fed sparingly.

Write a list of things that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. If you can’t identify a plant, post a photo in our Plant ID section and someone will help.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/

—————-

You mentioned eyes. What type of UVB bulb are you using? A photo will do

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
Ok, will try to answer all of this, and will read those pages afterwards. I do not have the ceramic heater to allow for darkness, the reptile store I went to did not mention it, so for now it is the 100 w heat lamp, and the uvb is zoomed 10.0, also I will buy, plant, etc whatever I need to feed him, so far all I have tried from outside was a little bit of grass one day, and can't remember if he ate any of it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok, will try to answer all of this, and will read those pages afterwards. I do not have the ceramic heater to allow for darkness, the reptile store I went to did not mention it, so for now it is the 100 w heat lamp, and the uvb is zoomed 10.0, also I will buy, plant, etc whatever I need to feed him, so far all I have tried from outside was a little bit of grass one day, and can't remember if he ate any of it
Hatchlings don't generally eat much grass at all. It does no harm to introduce some now. Snip a tiny amount really small with scissors and mix it with wet greens so it can't be picked out. Very, very gradually you can increase the quantity.

Is your zoomed bulb a compact one like this? If so they can cause eye problems in tortoises which would explain the eyes being closed.
zoo-med-reptisun-10-compact-mini-v1-495-495.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you do have a compact UVB, you should replace it with a fluorescent tube like this
D7C7F5D9-10C1-4834-BF2F-53D2C27C05F2-5148-000007CC92BE5D12.jpg

I have a feeling your reptile store may not have mentioned the need for high humidity (80%+), constant warmth and a closed chamber for young sulcatas. It is not uncommon unfortunately :(

Please do read those threads. And photos will help us to help you get things right. You are soon going to have a 100lb + bulldozer on your hands and with the right start it will quite possibly outlive you :)

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
If you do have a compact UVB, you should replace it with a fluorescent tube like this
View attachment 261162

I have a feeling your reptile store may not have mentioned the need for high humidity (80%+), constant warmth and a closed chamber for young sulcatas. It is not uncommon unfortunately :(

Please do read those threads. And photos will help us to help you get things right. You are soon going to have a 100lb + bulldozer on your hands and with the right start it will quite possibly outlive you :)
Yes, that is the bulb I have, I will look into the other, what is the ceramic heat thing look like, and is there a good place to buy that and the long bulb? I try to keep it moist in there most of the time, and buy closed chamber do you mean a hide? If so I do have that as well, I keep it on the 80 deg end of his enclosure. The enclosure is small, about the size of a 10 gallon aquarium, but it is just to start, I have the materials, and will be building a 3' x 6' table over the next day or 2

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A closed chamber is an enclosure with a roof on it.

The roof needs to go over or round the lights. Some people use perspex/plexiglass. Some get a plant tent to go over.

A Ceramic Heat Emitter looks like this. It gets quite hot, so it must be put in a ceramic bulb holder not a plastic one.
6CB8F965-F84E-4B22-9283-34FF4E1CFA2B-5411-000007DEB94C2EE7.jpg

It MUST be used with a thermostat. You plug the thermostat into the mains electricity, drop the probe in well away from the CHE, set the thermostat to 85F and plug the CHE into thermostat. Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I agree with JoesMum that your compact fluorescent bulb and no night heat is your problem.

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
Are these available at most pet stores, I want to try to get everything today if possible, I am building his new table today when I get home

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
Ok, found them at pet smart heading there as soon as I leave the Dr, will have it all put together besides the lid, I will get that tomorrow. I need to decide how I am going to build that, my current plan is for a 12" wooden sides, with plexiglass tent shaped top, does that sound good? It is 6' x 3' also, thoughts?

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
Got the 24" 10.0 uvb, and a heat emmiter for nighttime, also got him some eye drops, and finished his new encloser enough to move him in, I have cardboard pieced together enough to make a temp top, but think I need an extra heat source, it just gets up to 80, will post a few pics of it without the makeshift lid.
20190103_202620.jpg 20190103_202641.jpg 20190103_202612.jpg

TRACEDUMASHSOG

Ok, Ok
I am very sad to say, our little Georgie died on Saturday, we had him a vet appointment this morning, but he didn't make it. It is strange, he was very active the night before, but was gone when I went to put his eye drops in that morning. He never did start eating much. I think he was sick when I got him, there is no other options besides pet smart here to buy another, I welcome any suggestions, I am scare of ordering one online because of conditions while shipping. Ang thoughts on online, or other thoughts?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am very sad to say, our little Georgie died on Saturday, we had him a vet appointment this morning, but he didn't make it. It is strange, he was very active the night before, but was gone when I went to put his eye drops in that morning. He never did start eating much. I think he was sick when I got him, there is no other options besides pet smart here to buy another, I welcome any suggestions, I am scare of ordering one online because of conditions while shipping. Ang thoughts on online, or other thoughts?
I am SO sorry to read this :( Massive electronic hug from me.

There are some reliable breeders who will ship. @Tom is usually able to recommend some through his extensive network.