Hibernating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleinertson

5 Year Member
My Sulcata, Moshi, is outside for his first winter. He is seriously hibernating. He isn't eating, pooping - nothing! I have been bringing him in for a warm soak once a week and he enjoys it, but no eating romaine or anything else except a strawberry. Any thoughts??? He has a pig blanket heater and we also use a sun lamp most days in his xlarge dog house.:([/font][/size]

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
Well I'm new but from what I understand sullies do not hibernate but they will slow down if they get cold I would say that your sully needs more heat

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they will slow down,, and if not warm enough wont eat. try adding a CHE to the house to warm it up more.. Is there any sunshine?
If they are warm enough in their house, they will even come out and plow thru snow..
its possible the diet needs to improve.. Romaine and strawberries are not a good diet...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
How old is Moshi? What is Moshi's size?

What state is Moshi in and what are the day and night temperatures outside there these days? How long has Moshi been outside during such weather?

cleinertson

5 Year Member
Moshi is 3 years old and we live in S. California. We have a pig blanket in the x-large doghouse that he goes in at night. We have also been putting a sun lamp over the house (which opens up) in the daytime. He did great all summer, but ever since it got cold, he has stayed in the house. We put him in the sun when it is out, but he runs right back in to his house. We bring him in on weekends and soak him in warm water. He comes out of his shell and seems to enjoy himself, but he won't eat. I spoke to someone at Zoo Med and he said not to worry. Since this is Moshi"s first winter in the dog house, I am concerned as everything I have read says he shouldn't be hibernating. The weather here has been unusually cold, but he has heat and bedding???

cleinertson

5 Year Member
Moshi is 3. He lives in S. Calif. It has been around 30 at night, but he has insulation, heat, bedding. He has been out continually since summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.