Hatchling sully

Marycole82

Location (City and/or State)
ROACH
When do hatchlings become active? Got a new baby about a month ago but she doesn't seem to move around or eat much at all. I have older sullys but have never had a hatchling. Is it normal for her to behave this way?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you get a correctly started one, and house it correctly, they should be active from day one. The problem is that hardly anyone starts them correctly, and the care advice that is usually given for them is wrong. We've been doing it wrong for three decades, and most people still haven't figured this out.

So if your baby is not active, it means something is wrong. It could be that your baby was started in the typical dry wrong way, or it could be that your environment is not correct. Do you have night heat? A closed chamber? High humidity? Are you using a cfl type UV bulb? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, overnight low?

Give us some more info and we will help you get it figured out. Pictures of the enclosure and baby will hep too.

Where in the world is ROACH?

Here is the correct care info:

Marycole82

ROACH
She's been inactive from the beginning. Her enclosure is fairly large with temps ranging from 75ish in the cool areas to 105 in the warmest area, multiple moist hiding logs & uv lighting. Feed lots of grasses, supplement with mazuri and vitamins. My older sullys are thriving and in great health. Not a newbie but my older sullys were yearlings when I got them so no idea how a hatchling should behave. Would add pics but our internet is taking forever to upload them.

Marycole82

ROACH
Btw, Roach is a tiny town in Missouri and not the strangest named one either... lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She's been inactive from the beginning. Her enclosure is fairly large with temps ranging from 75ish in the cool areas to 105 in the warmest area, multiple moist hiding logs & uv lighting. Feed lots of grasses, supplement with mazuri and vitamins. My older sullys are thriving and in great health. Not a newbie but my older sullys were yearlings when I got them so no idea how a hatchling should behave. Would add pics but our internet is taking forever to upload them.

Four main possibilities:

1. 75 is too cool. What are you using for night heat?
  2. Half logs don't hold in enough humidity. If you have an open topped enclosure with half logs for hides, your enclosure is too dry and so is the baby. Are you soaking daily?
  3. What type of UV bulb? Some of them are eye burners and the tortoise will hide because it hurts their eyes.
  4. If you bought this baby from the typical breeder who starts them too dry, it could be suffering from "Breeder Failure Syndrome". More explanation here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Marycole82

ROACH
That's awesome. Now I know where I should move to set up my roach breeding business.
Go for it. Pretty sure population fo
Four main possibilities:

1. 75 is too cool. What are you using for night heat?
  2. Half logs don't hold in enough humidity. If you have an open topped enclosure with half logs for hides, your enclosure is too dry and so is the baby. Are you soaking daily?
  3. What type of UV bulb? Some of them are eye burners and the tortoise will hide because it hurts their eyes.
  4. If you bought this baby from the typical breeder who starts them too dry, it could be suffering from "Breeder Failure Syndrome". More explanation here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
Night heat- heaters turn on if room drops below 75. This can be turned up for their room. Also the enclosure has a heated bottom.
All my turtles get soaks everyday and humidity in the room fluctuates from 75 to 85%. I questioned if that was to high but haven't changed it. Not sure the type of UV bulbs off the top of my head, maybe zoo meds?? Never considered the type of bulb. She was sent next day delivery from a breeder in Missouri. Never purchased one that had to be delivered and worried about adopting a baby. I was very unhappy with how cold she was when she arrived.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go for it. Pretty sure population fo

Night heat- heaters turn on if room drops below 75. This can be turned up for their room. Also the enclosure has a heated bottom.
All my turtles get soaks everyday and humidity in the room fluctuates from 75 to 85%. I questioned if that was to high but haven't changed it. Not sure the type of UV bulbs off the top of my head, maybe zoo meds?? Never considered the type of bulb. She was sent next day delivery from a breeder in Missouri. Never purchased one that had to be delivered and worried about adopting a baby. I was very unhappy with how cold she was when she arrived.
I think 75 is too cold. They should never drop below 80 as babies. Cold night temps can cause lethargy, lack of appetite, and sometimes sickness.

Are the UV bulbs coil type screw in bulbs, or long florescent tubes?

I know of know breeders in Missouri starting babies correctly. Can you contact them and ask what substrate the baby was on, if it spent a week in a brooder box, what incubation media, and how often it was soaked? Answers to any of these questions will give us insight into your problem.