Hatchling / two month old comparison

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I just wanted to post the expected growth of a fresh hatchling next to a 2month old gulf coast baby. Raised on Reptomin and worms/bugs. I alternate two days in quarter inch of water for two days and then I move to a soil/mulch/leaf litter mix for two days, and continue that pattern until the winter time arrives.ImageUploadedByTortForum1380563581.903351.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380563593.543094.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Do you recomend that habitat change for all baby boxies or just the Gulf Coast? I have two GCB's, 3 ornates and 3 ornate three toed hybrids and I have all of them in similar habitats. One of my three toed is a special needs baby (he is a yearling with a birth deformaty, looks like there was supposed to be twins and the other one is inside his shell with him) so I can't really place him in a changing world, but I was considering this for the others.

They are all Juveniles over a year but less than three years by the way...

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I can only speak for Gulf Coast box turtles and 3toeds. I suspect it would work for easterns as well but I wouldn't try it with ornates. My 3toeds are from Louisiana and deal with almost indentical conditions to the Gulf Coast so they may handle it better than say an Oklahoma 3toed hatchling. But again thats hard to say.

I do it because it helps keep their enclosure clean and it also makes sure they stay hydrated. When they are in their leaf litter/soil mix they only get to feed on bugs and worms naturally. On occasion when I have time I will take them out to feed them worms but I prefer to let them hunt them on their own. When they are kept in the 1/4 inch of water I feed them reptomin with some catfish chow. The water is changed daily since Reptomin smells awful very quickly lol.

So again it works well for southern sub species and MAY work well for others, but I couldn't say for sure

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I've only had Eastern and Three Toed hatchlings, but I always kept them in leaf litter/soil/coco coir mix, kept very moist. Plenty of pill bugs, and small worms for them to find too. My Gulf Coast was older when I got him.
Your GC babies are beautiful and so healthy looking.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I think my method is worth a try with Easterns but I don't any Easterns to try it with.