Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Those are beautiful. I especially love the group eating shots.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really like the newest hatchling group, the darkest one...I think in the group picture he/she was like at the top right hand side. Of course, then I once more went snooping thru all your pictures. :rolleyes:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Such winsome, dainty little chiclets! :D

How many do you hatch each year, and how many do you sell? :cool:

Here's a silly "newbie" question: how many tortoises does it take to actually make a profitable business out of breeding and selling the tykes? :p

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Stephanie Logan said:
Such winsome, dainty little chiclets! :D

How many do you hatch each year, and how many do you sell? :cool:

Here's a silly "newbie" question: how many tortoises does it take to actually make a profitable business out of breeding and selling the tykes? :p

Lets see now .... I don't really know how many I hatch each year. How does a "LOT" sound? I never really counted. I track the date laid, Piped & out of the egg & never really count them up. I have better than 90% hatch rate. with my Colombians.
My Cherry Heads are all adopted, Some from a NH couple I found on another forum & 2 from Polly on here. 1 large male I bought from a friend during our last cold snap. None of the CH's are old enough to breed except the 10" male I think.
Back to the question!
At the moment I still have 71 RF eggs in the incubators. (yes I had to look to answer that)
As for how many are needed to be a profitable business?
I don't know. I have never counted the $$ ether! I just like to be at my home. & my tortoises keep me entertained & amazed! I think I might entertain them too on occasion!
The few (40 or so) I have are a considerable amount of work when you think about it. Driving around to the produce markets & finding what the tort's need. Feeding, Watering, Cleaning, Inspecting. Not to mention all the time I spend saying to myself "WOW, I wonder why he / she did that!" & "Get out of that bush! You know you can't climb! Your a TORTOISE for petes sake!"
So I doubt I make any $$ but I profit from the friends in my yard every day!
How many do I sell?
Almost all of them. Sometimes I keep 1 & sometimes I give 1 away. There are a lot of Redfoot keepers living around here now! "Hi welcome to the neighborhood! Have a tortoise!" Not really but I have given some to interested friends over the years.
No I have never produced an albino! But I must confess I have been known to do the albino dance to put the "MoJo" on the incubators! Yeah, no luck!
My wife & I have few expenses. We both (although not rich) are comfortable. We have worked hard all our lives & now we spend our $$ on our 14 year old son & the precocious kids in the yard!
& once again I have managed to ramble on incoherently far longer than was needed to answer the questions.
I gota do feed the kids!

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
The only 09 that I have left.
I would have missed this guy if he spent just a little more time on that "GILLIE" suit!

100_1512.jpg

100_1520.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone needs to figure out how to change the date on his camera! :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Haha, that's the way Europeans write dates, with the day and then the month...maybe it's a European camera (do Asians write their dates that way too?)! :D

So is his little lettuce leaf hat a fashion statement, or is he saving it as a snack for later? ;)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Looks like a nice life :) Wonderful RFs!

emysemys said:
Someone needs to figure out how to change the date on his camera! :p

Wow! How'd you figure out how to time travel?

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Well it would seem as though I have had a "PIPathon" in 1 of my incubators!
I can't remember the last time I had an entire clutch pip within 24 hours!
All 4 piped yesterday & 2 were actually out of their eggs by noon today.
OK, So the clutch was only 4 eggs, But still usually they are spread out from days to months.
Its not unheard of for me to get 1 hatchling a week till the entire clutch is hatched.
Some clutches take 2 to 3 months from 1st pip to last.

Here is the folder for those that wanna see.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x82/coonass1951/Tortoise Hatchlings 2010/

Note;
I have changed the date on my camera for those of you that don't get out of North America much!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Pip-a-thon!" I love it!!

(Thanks for the date change. When I buy Spring Mix the sell-by date is always shown like your original camera date and it takes me too long to try to figure it out. :( )

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your hatchling with the strange date on the picture, is absolutely beautiful. There is so much color on him. Really beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.