Hates new enclosure

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi,

I got Selma a new enclosure that is double the size of the old one. The problem is that she hates it. She paces the walls and sits there head against it. Basking temp is 32-34 degrees C and ambient 24 degrees C

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises get used to, and comfortable with, their environments. When you change anything, or change the whole thing, it is very stressful and there is an acclimation period. Frantically trying to escape the new realm and find "home" is common. Expect the tortoise to hide a lot the next few days, and probably not eat as much as usual. Some get over it quicker than others, but within a couple of weeks things will be back to normal and the tortoise will be more comfortable with its new territory. I like to soak more often during these times. Seems to help wake them out of their funk, get them moving, and stimulate appetite, all in addition to keeping them well hydrated while they aren't eating as much.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi,

I got Selma a new enclosure that is double the size of the old one. The problem is that she hates it. She paces the walls and sits there head against it. Basking temp is 32-34 degrees C and ambient 24 degrees C

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Your such a good tort-daddy! You may be misunderstanding her actions. Activity is good for a tortoise. He / She is probably checking out the new area and walking off excitement. We would love to see some pics though... Don’t stress over this :)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Tortoises get used to, and comfortable with, their environments. When you change anything, or change the whole thing, it is very stressful and there is an acclimation period. Frantically trying to escape the new realm and find "home" is common. Expect the tortoise to hide a lot the next few days, and probably not eat as much as usual. Some get over it quicker than others, but within a couple of weeks things will be back to normal and the tortoise will be more comfortable with its new territory. I like to soak more often during these times. Seems to help wake them out of their funk, get them moving, and stimulate appetite, all in addition to keeping them well hydrated while they aren't eating as much.
Thanks Tom, she does eat which is good however as you said, she does hide a lot.

Reactions: Tom

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Your such a good tort-daddy! You may be misunderstanding her actions. Activity is good for a tortoise. He / She is probably checking out the new area and walking off excitement. We would love to see some pics though... Don’t stress over this :)
Haha thank you, it means a lot to me that they are comfortable and happy:). I’ll definitely take some pics when the grumpy lady is settled in:D.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are super OCD about territory + the slightest little change can set them off. They are sight orientated (spelling?) so one little thing can set them off. Right now your tort fears he is in a new area (territory) & there might already be a guy (tortoise) in charge. He is going to be careful for awhile (hide) until he is sure he is the only 1 around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial. They really, REALLY don't like to be moved to new quarters. It may take a couple weeks for her to realize she's safe.

LOL! David posted while I was still typing. Oh well, just reinforces the thought.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well it seems like everyone is saying the same thing (redundant)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
They are super OCD about territory + the slightest little change can set them off. They are sight orientated (spelling?) so one thing can set them off. Right now your tort fears he is in a new area (territory) & there might already be a guy (tortoise) in charge. He is going to be careful for awhile (hide) until he is sure he is the only 1 around.
So she is looking out for a local tough tort, I get it;)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Little update on Selma. She is very quiet in the mornings now and perks up a little bit in the afternoon. Bringing her outside really gets her going and she did graze on some clover while out their. She then came in and preceded to attack my fingers. She will tend to eat in the afternoon now then the morning. Does that sound normal?

Dena

New York
She is just getting used to the change. I bet she will be a happy tort in a few weeks.