Have I got this right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkydinkydoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire, UK
Morning all,
I'm getting my lil hermann in two weeks time and need to run through some things with you lovely tort owners :)
Have I got the right equipment?? Here's what I have:

Ceramic lamp holder on bracket - 60w spotlight (is basking ok at 40 degrees Celsius?)
Uv tube lamp with 18w 10.0 uv tube
Tort safe grass n weed mix growing
The table is currently being built it has a roofed area one end and open space with lamps on the other end
Decor for table
Shallow water dish
Basking slab
Calcium powder for food
Cuttlefish bones
Coconut substrate, hemp substrate and grass pellets
Thermometer on outside and one under spotlight area.
And last but not least, lots of luurrrve :D

is there anything else I need and are the bulbs right? I don't want to give too
little or too much!
Also the UV tube is very bright is there a safe and effective way to shield it abit?
Was thinking along the lines of fixing a thin strip of wood along the edge as if it were a roof and attach tube along the underside of it???
Thanks for any help or advice :)
-anneka- xx

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
pinkydinkydoo said:
Morning all,
I'm getting my lil hermann in two weeks time and need to run through some things with you lovely tort owners :)
Have I got the right equipment?? Here's what I have:

Ceramic lamp holder on bracket - 60w spotlight (is basking ok at 40 degrees Celsius?)
Uv tube lamp with 18w 10.0 uv tube
Tort safe grass n weed mix growing
The table is currently being built it has a roofed area one end and open space with lamps on the other end
Decor for table
Shallow water dish
Basking slab
Calcium powder for food
Cuttlefish bones
Coconut substrate, hemp substrate and grass pellets
Thermometer on outside and one under spotlight area.
And last but not least, lots of luurrrve :D

is there anything else I need and are the bulbs right? I don't want to give too
little or too much!
Also the UV tube is very bright is there a safe and effective way to shield it abit?
Was thinking along the lines of fixing a thin strip of wood along the edge as if it were a roof and attach tube along the underside of it???
Thanks for any help or advice :)
-anneka- xx

Do not use the spot lamp, the problem with them is if you need heat 24/7 the animal does not get the proper rest with a light on all day and night,
Best thing is a ceramic heat lamp, it gives off heat but no light,
The tube lamp is ok for now, i prefer the full mercury lamps, the tubes have to be change every 5/6 months even if they are still working as the UV on then diminishes substancially,

If your tort eats the cuttle fish there is no need for the calcium powder, and even if he doesnt eat the cuttlefish you can ground that down and make your own cheap calcium powder.

In my opinion i would lower the temps just slightly to about 37 celcuis and down to 27 celcius at night.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.x

S

stells

I would use the spot... during the day... then IF night time heat is needed also have a Ceramic heat emitter for then...

What are night time temps like where you live... i am using no night time heat apart from with my Indian stars at the moment... and i'm in the UK... my Hermanns are all outside night and day ATM... in the winter... when indoors... they drop down to 16 C at night...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
stells said:
I would use the spot... during the day... then IF night time heat is needed also have a Ceramic heat emitter for then...

What are night time temps like where you live... i am using no night time heat apart from with my Indian stars at the moment... and i'm in the UK...

Glad to see you back Kelly, i have missed you.!!

pinkydinkydoo

5 Year Member
Hertfordshire, UK
Thanks for the advice, I can keep temp at 37c with the spot light on the day, and will get a ceramic for when it's cooler at night, at the mo my room stays at 24/25c at night. I'm in the uk.
I've ordered a hide house
Will offer him the cuttlefish and break it up if he isn't taking it, brilliant idea!!!
:)
Where do I get the right uv tube/lamp and ceramic lamp?
I bought the Arcadia ceramic lamp and holder for the spotlight, is that not right?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I like having a temp gun to check surface temps. It's a bit more versatile than the standard thermometers. Helps me get the right temp when soaking my tort too.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Yes a 100wt is fine if it gets to hot you can connect it to a thermostat with a probe sensor, I use one and find it works for me..

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I use a spot during the day with a day glo and I use a night glo at night and turn off the spot, it seems to work great for my Sulcata. The enclosure never drops below 76. in the day the basking is between 95-110 and other side is 75-85 or so. I am able to keep the temps up at night by closing the AC vent in the room he is in at night. I also agree add a hid box, maybe a half buried planter on it's side :) sounds pretty good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.