Lighting/heating

Swanniejack

Location (City and/or State)
Carmarthen
I have a closed chamber with a 3ft UV strip light attached to top with 2 CHE's either end to provide ambient heat and sufficient heat for humid hide.
I had a reflector type spotlight fitted at the Warmer side but having read on here that the carapace can be damaged due to heat I have decided to change it to a 60w tungsten lamp, providing light and a little heat.
Is this acceptable? Is the tortoise getting everything it requires? Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a closed chamber with a 3ft UV strip light attached to top with 2 CHE's either end to provide ambient heat and sufficient heat for humid hide.
I had a reflector type spotlight fitted at the Warmer side but having read on here that the carapace can be damaged due to heat I have decided to change it to a 60w tungsten lamp, providing light and a little heat.
What type of tortoise?
What is the ambient humidity?
What are the temperatures?
How are you measuring them?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you post some pics of your enclosure members can see the space and give better advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are your CHE's on a thermostat? They should be.

Everything you listed sounds pretty good, but only a thermometer/hygrometer, and a UV meter can answer your questions.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Yes CHEs on a thermostat, think I need to invest in a UV meter, was just unsure as the basking light (Reflector/mercury) I've removed states it provides UVB and I've changed it to an incandescent type lamp now, the tortoise isn't lacking anything due to the change is it?? Thanks