Having a rough heart day :0(

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm just rambling and feeling a little down because I can't win for losing it seems. I have a severe cedar allergy that I tried to manage naturally. Major failure so I took the advice of of a Dr and was taking a double dose of Zyrtec. My allergy is too severe and I was still symptomatic so I went to an allergist who put me on Allegra, a 5 day steroid and steroid nasal spray. Well the combination is working on my allergies but is upsetting my arrhythmia prone heart. I can't do diddly squat today without feeling like I'm going to drop dead. If it's not throwing left ventricle pvc's it's racing. It's erratic and all over the place. I have had problems with my hearts electrical system for the last 6 years. Medications don't help. A cardiac ablation failed back in 2010...
It SUCKS.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389387318.889924.jpg
Ok going to go pretend nothing is wrong because my middle child is about to walk in the door from school and my 2 yr old is stirring from her nap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That sounds awful, I'm sorry you have to deal with all that :( :(

I'm curious about your cedar allergy.... Do you have a lot of cedar in your house? What is causing it to act up so much?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Pokeymeg said:
I'm curious about your cedar allergy.... Do you have a lot of cedar in your house? What is causing it to act up so much?

It's common in Texas this time of year.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
South Texas has a really high mountain cedar pollen count during the winter months and I am extremely allergic to it unfortunately :(

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Im no doctor but im not a fan of the steriod nasal spray. I feel that always makes things worse. Have you tried immunotherapy yet?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Richsandwich said:
Im no doctor but im not a fan of the steriod nasal spray. I feel that always makes things worse. Have you tried immunotherapy yet?

I actually only took one dose of the steroid nasal spray because it made me jittery but the oral steroid I've stuck with and have one more dose of it tomorrow. It has helped tremendously.
I talked with the allergist about shots to help desensitize me to cedar and she said it's a commitment to consider next year before the season starts but she said that she usually recommends that sort of treatment for people who have many allergen triggers, not just one. :0/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to have a bad problem with my heart racing, then slowing, then skipping, and had to go to the E.R. a couple times. My doctor finally put me on Bystolic (beta blocker) and I'm good as new. Never a problem since.

I just take over the counter antihistimines, in fact I usually buy the store brand, and it has never affected my heart (Lean over here Jacqui, so I can knock on your head).

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've been on several beta blockers. A calcium channel blocker, anti-arrhythmics...sigh. Nothing worked very well without major side effects. I was one one about 6-8 months back that sent me in an ambulance from a restaurant. It was dropping my heart rate and blood pressure too low. My BP is typically pretty low all by itself. Meds and I don't get along very well :(

And the crazy thing was, I was on a HALF DOSE of the smallest available dosage lol. I'm sensitive. Lol

milkandsam

5 Year Member
The allergy shots might be worth a try. My mom had an allergy to pet hair and the shots eventually got rid of most of her allergy. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well!! :(

jennanne

I have allergies to just about everything...I was I'm the same allergy situation as you my whole life, but imagine that reaction to everything.
I've been on allergy shots the last six months, and I have to tell you I haven't needed my inhaler, I'm not as tired, and if I forget to take Claritin.... Nothing happens. I highly recommend them, they helped me tremendously. I'm sorry your day has been bad :(

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389401180.531780.jpg
This happened from eating :0(
My heart freaked totally out. It was jumping from the mid 140's down into the 50's, back and forth...all over the place. I started getting dizzy and short of breath. My chest is still tight even though I've recovered. Stupid heart. Seriously.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Man that really sucks. So hope you can find something to get it all under control. On a bad day, just relax, come visit tfo and chill looking at your lovely torts. That should help with anything:). Good luck.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh Elohi...sorry to hear:( we are all thinking of you! May your day tomorrow be much better!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks y'all. I think I'm ok again. For now. I went in and sat with my trio and held each one for a few minutes. They are so lovely [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389404888.933502.jpg
And my girls laid in the floor with me while things settled down. [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful picture of the three of you. One to save and frame for sure.

You don't use caffeine, do you?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Beautiful picture of you and your girls :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I do drink my fair share of coffee. My cardiologist raised an eyebrow during my initial appointment but has never discouraged it because my heart rate sits in the low 60's even with caffeine use. The problem is, emotional stress is my usual trigger. Large meals, especially larger meals later in the day. My heart typically behaves in the early parts of a day and acts rotten later in the day. Some days it doesn't act up at all. It's very unpredictable, except for the emotional stress part.
I've been diagnosed with right and left pvc's. I don't even feel the right side pvc's. Left side pvc's though...they are brutal if they are too close together (bigeminy). I also have a rather random benign sinus arrhythmia--sometimes bradycardia and sometimes tachycardia-but otherwise the actual rhythm is normal, occasional svt, and vtach was discovered during my ablation. NONE of it was fixed with the surgery, unfortunately. BUT my heart is structurally perfect...go figure. Lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This "Dr" recommends a lot more time spent watching your tortoises and being around your children (especially younger ones can make thing seem better)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Well I ended up having to et a steroid shot. It knocked out my immune system and now I have a huge cold sore on my lip. Allergies are a bit better but now my heart won't behave. I have to lay down to keep my it stable. Completely ridiculous. [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

My husbands heart rate and mine to show the difference. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390088790.005823.jpg

It was looking ugly when I came in from letting the torts have some sunshine ImageUploadedByTortForum1390088847.070588.jpg