Hay and barley grass

juancaap

Location (City and/or State)
Mcallen
Hi! My 4 y/o sulcata is not used to eating nor likes hay or barley grass, she just wont eat it.
I’ve read its realy good for them. Any ideas on how to incurage her on eating it?
She realy likes cactus pads, safe flowers, ferns, cat ear and moisted pellets.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soak it in water to soften it. Then cut up really small and mix in with some of her favorite foods. Slowly add more hay while adding less of her faves to it until she is eating it without having to be mixed. It'll take some time but should work.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Soaking it in warm water does wonders. I soak for five minutes. I’ll pile a favorite yummy on top and half way through too. It keeps mine eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ferns are toxic. Don't feed that to your tortoise.

What size sulcata are we talking about. Most of them are not too interested in hay until they pass the 12" mark.

I recommend that you start with bermuda grass hay or orchard grass hay. The easiest way to do it it to simply feed the tortoise what ever it is eating on a bed of grass hay. I use plastic food trays, put down a layer of orchard grass hay, and put their food on top of it. In time they state eating the hay along with the rest of the food. Now, I just leave a flake of hay and they nibble at it all the time, and I "feed" them other weeds, leaves, flowers, opuntia pads, etc… when I feel like it.