Hay Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuma, AZ
Was wondering if anyone used "hay racks" with their larger sulcatas? I'm wanting to use one but can't find anything the right size. It's either tiny for rabbits or huge for horses so I wanted to see what you use or built.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you been to a feed store? They make them for goats, which are a smaller than horse size.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I must add that i have thought of this idea as well. Have not tried it, however ours eat straight from the ground and some molds and gets nasty!

19oahk.jpg

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
Ok, so this is what I came up with today. It's an old hamster cage that I tore up and then bent and re attached with plastic zip ties. It's hanging with two clips. It works a little to well I guess... It seems a little difficult for my 10 pound 2 year old sulcata to get her nose into and get a bite of hay. I pulled some of the wires to make the holes larger but not large enough I guess. Anyways, it's a good idea for smaller tortoises.

image-1701541303.png

Here is the picture

Attachments

• image-2218590921.png
    image-2218590921.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 47

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
I think the fencing holes may be a bit to large. The hay I am using right now is super fine (orchard grass hay). I think it will just fall right through. However, I do have some wire left over from making the fence. I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work for this hay it will work for the thicker stuff for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.