Hay, specifically Timothy

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Does bagged hay have a shelf life? Assuming it is kept completely dry, how long til it loses nutritional value? Did it ever really have nutritional value? Or just fiber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the answers to your questions, but thought I'd mention that I don't like timothy hay for tortoises. I find it to be too stemmy. I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know the answers to your questions, but thought I'd mention that I don't like timothy hay for tortoises. I find it to be too stemmy. I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay.
Yes, you've mentioned that before. Problem is, I have only found horse size bales of those. One would last so long, it brings me back to the shelf life question. Chug likes the Timothy-I chop it up small, but I will continue to look for the others.
I have also bought flats of wheatgrass, which he loves green, or dried out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, you've mentioned that before. Problem is, I have only found horse size bales of those. One would last so long, it brings me back to the shelf life question. Chug likes the Timothy-I chop it up small, but I will continue to look for the others.
I have also bought flats of wheatgrass, which he loves green, or dried out.

If you go to your local feed store and tell them you've got one small tortoise to feed, they will often let you grad a few handfuls of the chaff that falls off of the big bales. They sweep up and throw away dumpsters full of the loose stuff. They'd probably be happy to let you grab a bag full. I offer to pay, but they seldom take your money for the "trash" off the ground. Show them a pic of your tortoise and I'm sure you'll win them over.