He bit me!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Today Diego, my Russian tortoise bit me very very hard. It really hurt but mostly it hurt my feelings. I know he's an animal and a lot of the bond I feel that we have is about me feeding him but I kinda thought we were pals. It wasn't even like he mistook my finger for food... he bit my face! I could feel him sniffing me and then he latched on and stayed latched on for what seemed like a long time. I thought you guys would understand... thanks for listening.

Oh maybe you're wondering why he was so close to my face... well I got Diego in the early summer while it was still cold occasionally in Oregon and got bad info (of course) so I didn't have any heat source or light but was told he liked a warm lap. So when it was cold out I'd lay him on me. He seemed to like to crawl into the crook of my neck and lay his head against my skin. I of course loved this time! Well summer came and it got hot and I found this forum and got informed about his needs but every now and then on an overcast day after he spends time under a warm light we'll have a little snuggle time. If he gets all active I take it as a sign and put him outside but he was just chillin' today. Then he tried to eat me :(

I cried.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
That he's not as in love as I am?
No, but that he likely saw you as a threat, at least in the moment. If you want an animal that enjoys cuddling . . . get a puppy. Tortoises don't actually enjoy being held. Enjoy them for who they are, and in their environment. I hope that you heal in both body and mind quickly.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
No, but that he likely saw you as a threat, at least in the moment. If you want an animal that enjoys cuddling . . . get a puppy. Tortoises don't actually enjoy being held. Enjoy them for who they are, and in their environment. I hope that you heal in both body and mind quickly.

My guess is that the tortoise let off a defensive bite. A very common mechanism found in cornered preys. Too much "cuddling", petting, and other similar actions may be perceived as undesirable actions.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I agree. One of the things that drew me to tortoises is their indifference(yes I'm strange). I am happy if my tort views me as his favorite food baring tree. I don't want to be seen as a predator, or possible competition for resources (another tort).
My tort tolerates my handling, even seems to enjoy a good head rub but he definitely doesn't want to be my buddy or have a snuggle. I think that we tend to push emotional concepts that we are familiar with onto them, for example- what many see as "he wants to cuddle so he sits against my neck" could be more likely "he is sitting next to my neck because it's warm and it somewhat resembles an overhang that may provide shelter because he feels vulnerable"
I hope some of that made sense.. I tend to ramble.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I agree. One of the things that drew me to tortoises is their indifference(yes I'm strange). I am happy if my tort views me as his favorite food baring tree. I don't want to be seen as a predator, or possible competition for resources (another tort).
My tort tolerates my handling, even seems to enjoy a good head rub but he definitely doesn't want to be my buddy or have a snuggle. I think that we tend to push emotional concepts that we are familiar with onto them, for example- what many see as "he wants to cuddle so he sits against my neck" could be more likely "he is sitting next to my neck because it's warm and it somewhat resembles an overhang that may provide shelter because he feels vulnerable"
I hope some of that made sense.. I tend to ramble.
Ya I totally get that. I knew he was near my neck for warmth. I guess I just thought there was more respect. Like "don't bite the face attached to the neck that warms you". I totally realize that I make up a narrative for how he thinks and feels based partially on my observations but also on my desires. I'll get over it and we'll be fine but geez that hurt on many levels. Thanks for your input :)

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
My guess is that the tortoise let off a defensive bite. A very common mechanism found in cornered preys. Too much "cuddling", petting, and other similar actions may be perceived as undesirable actions.
Ya you're probably right. I've been reading all the posts about the subtly aggressive behavior between torts that are kept in pairs and thinking that my own behavior could be perceived as that kind of aggressive. I tend to just show up in his territory and follow him around. I'm always bossing him around... time to eat... time to go inside... time to go outside... time for a bath. Maybe he'd had enough and felt cornered, like you said. Thanks for the input.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Ya I totally get that. I knew he was near my neck for warmth. I guess I just thought there was more respect. Like "don't bite the face attached to the neck that warms you". I totally realize that I make up a narrative for how he thinks and feels based partially on my observations but also on my desires. I'll get over it and we'll be fine but geez that hurt on many levels. Thanks for your input :)
My tort bit my husband's finger once. It was clearly an act of aggression. Not an "oops I thought you were food" but more of a "strange invader of my personal space!" CHOMP "I totally showed him that I wasn't a pushover"

My tort clearly has issues with my husband.