OUCH!!! He bit me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I gave Nelson his first taste of butternut squash tonight. I thinly sliced a few pieces and offered it to him- after a few sniffs he went to town! He LOVES it! :D
He got very enthusiastic and was wildly chomping and bit down on my middle finger. And because he had a sliver of butternut squash with it he would NOT LET GO!!!
First I just screamed (while my sister sat next to me laughing hysterically :rolleyes: ) and I touched his shell to try to get him to release but he just kept biting down harder!! He refused to let go of that squash ;) Finally after ten minutes (okay, 30 seconds...but it seemed longer!) he let go.

My finger is throbbing! Thank goodness he's just a little Russian yearling. My God, I can't imagine being bit by a Sulcata :p I seriously thought he was going to take a chunk out of my finger. I just have a nice deep bite mark :shy:

Have you ever been bit? One time when he was a baby he bit my finger, but that was before he grew his beak.

edited to add a picture of the vicious little tort ;)
IMG_0513.jpg

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
What a cute story, I can totally visualize the entire episode! LOL!! I have been bit by mine, but she is too little for it to hurt! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob has accidentally bitten me in that same situation. He's big enough that he draws blood and believe me when HE doesn't let go it's a hurtful thing. The last time that happened my eyes went black and I pounded on his carapace, man it hurt. He didn't let go until the blood went in his mouth. I guess that didn't taste like squash so he just let go as he didn't want to eat whatever tasted like that blood. It seriously hurt bad. And I hit him hard too, trying to make him let go...the jerk

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Oh, thanks for starting out my work week with a smile... LMAO!

RV has never hit 'paydirt' with me, but she did clip mary once. I can imagine Nelson thought he'd scored a big time with that squash and was gonna play tug of war until you gave up..

and such a smug look on his face! Priceless!!

teri

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Snooze has caught me a couple times, if he doesn't let go I just give him a quick spray of water and then he lets go.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Now why didn't I think of a quick spray of water? He would have let go instantly!

OUCH Maggie, I can't imagine a Bob-bite!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just the cutest picture. He looks so self satisfied. "Ha, ha I bit you!"

travisgn

5 Year Member
My female RT bit me once, but I didn't have any food in my hand and I think she was just sampling me because she didn't bite very hard at all. If I put my hand in the enclosure now she still comes running but she won't bite me. It would probably be different if I had food, I suppose.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
OUCH!!! Never been bit by something with four legs and scales, but I have seen the aftermath of a bite from a little gecko. It puts a bad bite from a large rat snake completely to shame... And I can only imagine tortoises are worse!!!

Lizards, birds, and turtles/tortoises... Three things I NEVER want to get bit by... lol!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Katie, it is time for an intervention. Nelson definitely has the look of a bully in the making. It's sad to have to contemplate where you went wrong in raising him, but that's a feeling all parents must encounter from time to time...maybe it has to do with his calcium habit?

We're here for you, dear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
Bob has accidentally bitten me in that same situation. He's big enough that he draws blood and believe me when HE doesn't let go it's a hurtful thing. The last time that happened my eyes went black and I pounded on his carapace, man it hurt. He didn't let go until the blood went in his mouth. I guess that didn't taste like squash so he just let go as he didn't want to eat whatever tasted like that blood. It seriously hurt bad. And I hit him hard too, trying to make him let go...the jerk

I'd bet money your pounding didn't hurt him. I bet he thought you were being affectionate...

I think a tortoise is about the only animal I haven't been bitten by... yet...

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
It's the same mistake and same lesson learned by some of history's greatest generals:

Never invade Russian territory with winter approaching

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Can you imagine getting bit by a 600 pound aldabra, we are cautious. LOL.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love Nelson and cannot believe such a story about him. How could he ever hurt anything? I mean look at that cute little innocent face of his. :D Sorry this happened to you Katie but at least now you know how much they can hurt when they bite. :p

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Charlie, the carnivorous little bugger, has taken nips at Matt when he was being fed, clipped my nails a couple times, has bitten down on my zipper tag and my shirt. One thing we have learned, do not get in the way of the BNS and the Tort!!!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
ChiKat said:
I gave Nelson his first taste of butternut squash tonight. I thinly sliced a few pieces and offered it to him- after a few sniffs he went to town! He LOVES it! :D
He got very enthusiastic and was wildly chomping and bit down on my middle finger. And because he had a sliver of butternut squash with it he would NOT LET GO!!!
First I just screamed (while my sister sat next to me laughing hysterically :rolleyes: ) and I touched his shell to try to get him to release but he just kept biting down harder!! He refused to let go of that squash ;) Finally after ten minutes (okay, 30 seconds...but it seemed longer!) he let go.

My finger is throbbing! Thank goodness he's just a little Russian yearling. My God, I can't imagine being bit by a Sulcata :p I seriously thought he was going to take a chunk out of my finger. I just have a nice deep bite mark :shy:

Have you ever been bit? One time when he was a baby he bit my finger, but that was before he grew his beak.

edited to add a picture of the vicious little tort ;)
IMG_0513.jpg
LOL!! Because the look on his face is saying "go ahead, make my day"!

bert has gotten me a couple times,its just a bad pinch for now, but he does like to sneak up on people wearing sandals on go for the toes! Arent they adoreable? :)

moswen

5 Year Member
haha, oh man, you can tell he's pretty satisfied with himself right now. that picture's awesome. i've been bit by tula a few times, same scenerio: getting too carried away with eating. it hurts pretty bad, i always jerk my hand away and gasp "ouch!" my daughter's been bit countless times, and now all she does is barely even react, she just looks at me with wide eyes and says "tula's biting me!" without even pulling her hand away, she just waits for her to let go! she handles it better than i do, and she's only 2!

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California
It's interesting to me to see how many people have been bit by their torts. I caught Oscar trying to bite my thumb the other day, little jerk I didn't even have food. That picture does show a pretty satisfied looking tort though, "hahaha thought you were gonna keep MY squash, well I showed you."

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Ernie used to bite anything and everything when I first took him home. He learned now what is food, and what is not food, but he used to chase my finger around his house because he thought it was food! And he did get a hold of my finger a few times...OW

Status
Not open for further replies.