Head bobbing

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
My new Red Foot Tortoise " Murphy" is getting used to his new home. I have had him now for about 2weeks. He is about 6-7ish inches long. Everytime I go near his enclosure or close enough for him to see me he bobs his head up and down at me. I've read posts where people say that's just them breathing, but I don't think that's it. He only does it when he sees me near him. Is this a territorial thing? Is it normal?

Bambam1989

East Texas
It could be him breathing in more deeply because he associates you with food. They have a great sense of smell. He could be sniffing to see if he can smell something yummy or to help clarify that it's you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's actually pretty hilarious!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is exactly what he's doing

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It doesn't seem like he's just breathing. It definitely seems like an intentional thing he's doing when he sees me!

Bambam1989

East Texas
It doesn't seem like he's just breathing. It definitely seems like an intentional thing he's doing when he sees me!
I'm still learning about some of the body language they use. Someone may correct me, but I believe that the head bobbing is a way of signaling dominance. The tort equivalent of "putting up your fists" or "bowing up" at someone.
Let's hope he doesn't decide to start biting or ramming.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Definitely a dominance / threat thing. One of my redfoots, the smaller one, does it. She is also the one that rams me and bites. She is housed alone, bought young from a reputable breeder, I've had her for over a year, never gave her a bad experience but man she is feisty as hell!!! When she was really little I thought she was just stumbling and falling against me - she was my first tort and I was like "omg she is so tiny and clumsy how cute!" Until I realized that she was RAMMING ME WITH HER TEENY TINY BODY!

The other redfoot I have is super chill and I have never seen her head bob, I can scratch her on the head and hand feed her treats. It's funny how they can be the same species, housed identically (but separately), identical husbandry but have complete opposite personalities.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'm still learning about some of the body language they use. Someone may correct me, but I believe that the head bobbing is a way of signaling dominance. The tort equivalent of "putting up your fists" or "bowing up" at someone.
Agreed. Iguanas do it too.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh boy. My little one does it sometimes when she sees me. I think she has figured out who owns who!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
My new Red Foot Tortoise " Murphy" is getting used to his new home. I have had him now for about 2weeks. He is about 6-7ish inches long. Everytime I go near his enclosure or close enough for him to see me he bobs his head up and down at me. I've read posts where people say that's just them breathing, but I don't think that's it. He only does it when he sees me near him. Is this a territorial thing? Is it normal?

Hope you're a girl cause you turn him on:D.