head bobbin?

sir prince

So Prince is doing wonderful exploring and eating normal. Has a routine. Holding him one day I happened to put him in front of a mirror so I was curious and read some old forums on how it's not a good idea. So I didn't. He's pretty active with what he has. As I was reading a comment on head bobbing it claimed it to be a sign of irritation? Prince does it and I assumed he was just responding to me?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @sir prince . :D

Personally, I would not place a tort in front of a mirror: "better be safe than sorry.";)

@Yvonne G
@Tom

would you please help here? Thanks! :)

sir prince

No I am not putting him in front of mirror. My question was about the head bobbing what does that mean?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Aggression. He sees another tortoise, and wants if out of his territory. Head bobbing is what they do to chase another tortoise away.

This is why we always tell people that their tortoise does not want a "friend" they are not social animals, and one will dominate the other until the other one leaves, or in the case of captivity, dies form being bullied away from food, water, and sleeping and basking spots.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If he's been active and running around a lot, it could be breathing too. They bob their heads when breathing sometimes. I'd need to see video to decide.

sir prince

Yeah he's very active. He does not see himself at all and there are no other pets just to clarify that. Prince doesn't head bob freaquently I was just curious. Tx

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
so i was pondering this, as i never really paid attention to that and there, my two adult male and female redfoot did it yesterday. it went like this and you can make your own conclusions: the male ate the plum and then saw the lady. she saw him and they walked toward each other. once close they both started bobbing the heads right and left. did that until the noses touched, she smelled the plum on his face and i think liked that, because right after they went to hanky panky. i am not saying it is not aggression related when they bob their heads, but this might also be a hello as well, you should have seen these two, it was like they were kissing and purring ( no aggression whatsoever) :) yes redfoots occasionally purr, they are the most vocal torts ever :)
i often think of my torts as dogs, as they have very similar dispositions, and perhaps as it is often said that pets and owner share similar traits - then perhaps it might mean many things... just sharing my bobby head story :)
I also have a bunch of russians, never saw any other other breed bobbing though, all russians are male and they do not hang out together ever, well sometime the two bros will, but rarely and they never ever seem to be aggressive, my male redfoot sometimes wants to climb into my arms though, he is a silly pushy sucker who likes kisses:)

sir prince

so i was pondering this, as i never really paid attention to that and there, my two adult male and female redfoot did it yesterday. it went like this and you can make your own conclusions: the male ate the plum and then saw the lady. she saw him and they walked toward each other. once close they both started bobbing the heads right and left. did that until the noses touched, she smelled the plum on his face and i think liked that, because right after they went to hanky panky. i am not saying it is not aggression related when they bob their heads, but this might also be a hello as well, you should have seen these two, it was like they were kissing and purring ( no aggression whatsoever) :) yes redfoots occasionally purr, they are the most vocal torts ever :)
i often think of my torts as dogs, as they have very similar dispositions, and perhaps as it is often said that pets and owner share similar traits - then perhaps it might mean many things... just sharing my bobby head story :)
I also have a bunch of russians, never saw any other other breed bobbing though, all russians are male and they do not hang out together ever, well sometime the two bros will, but rarely and they never ever seem to be aggressive, my male redfoot sometimes wants to climb into my arms though, he is a silly pushy sucker who likes kisses:)
Thanks for that I'd hate to think he was aggravated with me having for over a year. He snuggles with me and eats outta hand. Doesn't seem to mind me around him he even follows me. Love my Prince