Sir. Prince update

sir prince

I haven't been on in a while. Had trouble with logging in. I've read some new threads. Always find interesting facts. If you've followed me I wanted to share. I live in an apartment in central Illinois. Against some advice I let Prince walk around my apartment. He has a habitat but there is an opening where he can get out. He loves to climb on my bookshelf knocking stuff off. He eats and sleeps in his habitat. Then he goes to the windows and sunbathes. (I soak him in the sun also) He loves me petting him and climbing on me. I hand feed him occasionally. He has bit me but he was trying to eat the carrot I was holding. I grow herbs and flowers in my window seal and I'm replanting for spring. I took all the dirt and plants in a large plastic container for Prince to play in he Doesn't seem to be interested. Overall he has been a great pet. I talk to him he is really part of the family. Any questions or concerns I am open to discussion. This site is great and very useful. Thanks all...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
It really is very dangerous letting Prince wander about the apartment, we get so many accidents happen.
As well as the injury risk (one got it's head slammed in a closing door a while back, another got stepped on , a third someone fell over and landed on it and a child sat on a fourth) there are objects it can eat, even a dust bunny can cause impaction. This aside, it is impossible to maintain a controlled temperature and humidity on the floor. It's much colder down there and drafts can be dangerous , too.
I hope you are using a UVB lamp or you have direct sunlight access as glass blocks UVB.
Carrots are not good for tortoises, a tiny bit shredded and mixed in with his other food would be harmless, but not in any quantity. See : http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=619

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you ever have trouble logging on again, you can always look at the Forum's home page and click on "contact us." Josh will help you get logged in.

sir prince

It really is very dangerous letting Prince wander about the apartment, we get so many accidents happen.
As well as the injury risk (one got it's head slammed in a closing door a while back, another got stepped on , a third someone fell over and landed on it and a child sat on a fourth) there are objects it can eat, even a dust bunny can cause impaction. This aside, it is impossible to maintain a controlled temperature and humidity on the floor. It's much colder down there and drafts can be dangerous , too.
I hope you are using a UVB lamp or you have direct sunlight access as glass blocks UVB.
Carrots are not good for tortoises, a tiny bit shredded and mixed in with his other food would be harmless, but not in any quantity. See : http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=619
I understand the risk of Prince walking around I do watch him when he is out and I rarely have company. As for lamps/lights I have all set up. Also my apt. is on 4th floor so heat is usually a constant. I appreciate your feed back and the stories you told are tragic. I will definitely look for barriers or anything that could harm my baby. I have more cocern when he's in his habitat because of small logs in there he is strong enough to knock them over no matter how I arrange them.