Head bobbing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
So I just thought id ask. My redfoots since the day I got them like head bob. Moving their heads up and down like they are dancing. The one does it more then the other.. Is that normal. I have had them 5.5 months and they have done it the whole time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My male russian head bobs in front of the females as part of the courting behavior.
None of my 5 young leopards do it at all.

As far as I know, if the head bobbing isn't being done for mating it's being done for dominance.

Sent from my TFOapp

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Team Gomberg said:
My male russian head bobs in front of the females as part of the courting behavior.
None of my 5 young leopards do it at all.

As far as I know, if the head bobbing isn't being done for mating it's being done for dominance.

Sent from my TFOapp

Yup.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
They never do it when they are near each other it's usually when I have them out in my hand. Are they saying they write dominate then me?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Is it just the head or do the arms move in and out, too? If I accidentally pick my reds up too quickly, they get nervous and breathe heavy for a short time.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: Head bobbing??

pfara said:
Is it just the head or do the arms move in and out, too? If I accidentally pick my reds up too quickly, they get nervous and breathe heavy for a short time.

I would say both. It's never the same, but usually it's just his head. He does occasionally breath heavy. So maybe I sometimes scare him but not always

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
One of my redfoots has done a lot of head bobbing since we got him as a little hatchling (5 weeks old, he's now a year old)...and my daughter actually named him Hiccup because of it.
Just recently, we've noticed him becoming more and more dominant over the other tortoises. He now chases everyone around, biting them. I'm currently in the middle of building him his own enclosure that he can rule.

My other redfoots head bob occasionally...not all the time...Hiccup does it a lot.

So, it could be a dominance thing...courting...or just a weird redfoot thing (I know other species do this too). :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Some do it for courting, some to cast threats, and some for other sorts of communication perhaps not yet well understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.