Heartbroken

missmarilyn

Location (City and/or State)
Barrie, Ontario
My tiny Hermann is dead. I tried so hard to do all the things needed. information on this site is helpful i guess but nothing helped me. i spent so much time since i got him only a month ago--this is just tearing me apart.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so sorry. Sometimes, no matter what we do, they just can't be helped. At least you gave him a fighting chance.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You tried to help that tort when it was scarred, now your scarred :( very sorry for the loss, you wanted to help. You really did, he started becoming a little less pale, he lived longer because of you! Your a hero.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Don't blame yourself, you tried your best. Sometimes nothing we can do will help. Just please try to find comfort in knowing you did all you could to help.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with the above. Some babies are just really fragile. Your baby died being loved. Sadly, it was a very short life but you probably made it worth living!!
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* Like others have said, please don't beat yourself up over his death. Yes, it's horrible, but some times tortoise hatchlings are doomed before they even hatch to not survive. Please take some time to heal and then give another tortoise the chance to enjoy a wonderful and long life under your caring and concerned keeping.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm very sorry for your loss . And hope you feel better later .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am sorry for the loss of your little one. At least he knew love in his short life.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I am soooo sorry for your loss...I'm sure you did everything you could to keep your tortoise happy & healthy. I'm in the same boat, I've lost 2 leopards & any day now possibly a baby sulcata. It's not easy losing our pets :( stay strong!

KnNTiny

So sorry for your loss. At least he received the love he needed from you. Know you did all you could.

Jami

I am sorry you and the baby went through all of that. I did too, a few months ago. Sometimes it seems that these creatures just don't make it no matter what we try. Hatchlings are so fragile. You were a great torty parent and your baby was loved. Never forget that you fought hard but nature is sometimes stronger than we are...you did a good job caring for him so there is no blame on you - easy to say, harder to believe, I know. I've got a new hatchling now and worry everyday - but he's completely different from my first. Having him has made me understand that this isn't our fault as long as we've provided the best, most appropriate care. Which it seems you did. So -Not your fault. Just a crazy hard thing to raise a baby reptile! Hang in there.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Im sorry. I lost a sulcata hatchling a couple years ago too. I did everything right but it just didnt make it. But it doesnt mean you are destined for failure next time. But if you are afraid to try again with a hatchling maybe you can find a juvenile,one thats still young and small but it will be past the most delicate stage and will be hardier.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry. It really tears you up. I lost a Leopard hatchlings yesterday and heartbroken is exactly how I feel. Very sorry for your loss.