heat AND humidity

agintz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I am converting my sulcatas outdoor hide so that she can be out full time now. We have created a back door for her to get into her enclosure through the back of our garden shed. I am having a hard time keeping it warm AND humid at the same time. We live in Arizona so it is naturally dry most of the time, and can still get pretty chilly on winter nights. Most of the outdoor enclosures that I've seen don't have have anything to hold moisture. Do I need to use plastic somehow?? BTW, she is much more mature now since the avatar pic...4 years old and 3.5 pounds.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Tom and some others use a radiator to provide moist heat. The walls of the enclosure can be insulated.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am thinking he might not be big enough for full time outside. Maintaining proper temp and humidity is much harder outside. This is why they do better with indoor enclosures until they are 10 inches or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am converting my sulcatas outdoor hide so that she can be out full time now. We have created a back door for her to get into her enclosure through the back of our garden shed. I am having a hard time keeping it warm AND humid at the same time. We live in Arizona so it is naturally dry most of the time, and can still get pretty chilly on winter nights. Most of the outdoor enclosures that I've seen don't have have anything to hold moisture. Do I need to use plastic somehow?? BTW, she is much more mature now since the avatar pic...4 years old and 3.5 pounds.

We will need to see your enclosure and shed and get the details on how you are heating it to offer specific advice.

My outdoor night boxes are well sealed and insulated. They need very little electricity to maintain their heat, because I'm not losing heat very quickly. I use tubs of water inside my boxes to add some humidity.