Heat and light

Mariia

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Could you help me. I took one baby sulcate. Temperature in the room now around 95, so do I need to use heat spot?
Do I need extra light if in the room enough light. Haw long I need to start u for her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could you help me. I took one baby sulcate. Temperature in the room now around 95, so do I need to use heat spot?
Do I need extra light if in the room enough light. Haw long I need to start u for her?
Hello and welcome.

Room temp is 95F, as in 35C? All the time?

Please read this for lots of helpful information. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a sulcata care sheet near the bottom.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have one sulcata. How big/old is it?
Is it in an enclosure in the room or the whole room is it's enclosure?

Mariia

Cyprus
Hello and welcome.

Room temp is 95F, as in 35C? All the time?

Please read this for lots of helpful information. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a sulcata care sheet near the bottom.
At the moment during the day always around 30-35 and humidity between 60-70%
At the night time come down temperature maybe at 25C, no less but humidity go up maybe at 80%
So I'm interested if I need extra heat spot
I can bring her now sometimes outside in her box for little to catch UV.
But at the moment I keep always during the day uv light, and haw I understood is wrong
I read really a lot off, but nothing find about this exactly
After my room temperature will change and I add for sure heating and heat spot.
But becouse my box for turtle closed anough I scare to boiled her.
My turtle is 46 gr
Also will be happy if you can help me, where to find info about How much can they weigh by month and year?
Thank you for your unswerving 🙏

Mariia

Cyprus
You have one sulcata. How big/old is it?
Is it in an enclosure in the room or the whole room is it's enclosure?
Hello. Yes one baby 46 gr. She stay in one conteiner in the room. And temperature the same during g the day between 30-35

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, I think Tom meant to post this link
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
It is up to date and covers the do's and don'ts for all species. The African Tortoise/sulcata section is more specific to sulcata and will tell you how to meet your tort's needs. You'll also find it in the species specific threads.
You'll not find better advice anywhere but after reading it please ask as many questions as you like. You'll get plenty of help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is what I believe @Tom was mentioning

Thank you @Lyn W
I didn't notice that you'd beaten me to it.

Mariia

Cyprus
Hi and welcome, I think Tom meant to post this link
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
It is up to date and covers the do's and don'ts for all species. The African Tortoise/sulcata section is more specific to sulcata and will tell you how to meet your tort's needs. You'll also find it in the species specific threads.
You'll not find better advice anywhere but after reading it please ask as many questions as you like. You'll get plenty of help.
Hi, I already read all it. But I did not find my unswerving. If temperature in my room now at the day start from 90 and go at 95. Do I still need baking spot?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I already read all it. But I did not find my unswerving. If temperature in my room now at the day start from 90 and go at 95. Do I still need baking spot?
I suppose you're still feeling the effect of the terrible heatwave most of the Mediterranean countries have been having this summer.
I'm in the UK so not the best person to advise on tort needs in a hot country. Hopefully @Tom or @Yvonne can help with that.

You need to check the temp in your tort's enclosure at his level and make sure they match those recommended for baby sullies on the caresheet. A digital temp gun is ideal for spot-checking temps in different areas.

If you post pics of him in his enclosure it will give members a better idea of what advice to give you based on its size etc., and we can help you make sure your tort has everything he needs to stay healthy and safe.

Mariia

Cyprus
I suppose you're still feeling the effect of the terrible heatwave most of the Mediterranean countries have been having this summer.
I'm in the UK so not the best person to advise on tort needs in a hot country. Hopefully @Tom or @Yvonne can help with that.

You need to check the temp in your tort's enclosure at his level and make sure they match those recommended for baby sullies on the caresheet. A digital temp gun is ideal for spot-checking temps in different areas.

If you post pics of him in his enclosure it will give members a better idea of what advice to give you based on its size etc., and we can help you make sure your tort has everything he needs to stay healthy and safe.
At the moment she stay here. But I have plan to build for her bigger box full close, just try to find a lot of information to make a right job. I think I saw before post of Tom, haw to do it. But I could not find it now. ( also I can't find information haw heavy should be sulcate turtle at different months. Thank you so much for your unswerving. I really want to make the best, but it's not enough info and some is very different also😅🤔

Attachments

• 20230901_150410.jpg
    20230901_150410.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230901_150505.jpg
    20230901_150505.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230901_150454.jpg
    20230901_150454.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230901_150527.jpg
    20230901_150527.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 2

Mariia

Cyprus

And also I start to soak her every day for 20 min about. And I put her on the sunlight every morning during soaking and during her breakfast.
She is not active. Very little just morning and maybe evening, and I think only when she is looking for food. But probably it's normal for baby

Attachments

• 20230901_112104.jpg
    20230901_112104.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230831_122952.jpg
    20230831_122952.jpg
    964.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230830_163553.jpg
    20230830_163553.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's hard to tell the size of the home but it looks very small and not very high so I don't know if you could safely add any lamps in there without it being a fire risk, so yes - s/he will need something bigger asap. A larger reptile vivarium with fittings for heat and light fixtures would be better while she is a baby.
The caresheet tells you all about that and how to provide and retain heat/humidity.

Torts will be inactive if they are too cold, that is why you need to check her temps day and night at her level and make sure they match the caresheet advice.

They also need heat to help their digestive system work properly, but too much heat can kill them. It can also cause inactivity - aestivation "Animals that aestivate become inactive and stop feeding in response to warm temperature" So getting the balance right is vital.
Many members use a thermostat for any heat sources so that it switches on and off in response to the temps and stops temps getting too cold or hot. Something like this but there are a digital ones available too.
1693654026848.png

It's also very important for health that she has room to move about.

UVB is essential to help them absorb minerals etc.
When you put her out in the sun do you just move her home outside with the cover on?
If so she will get very hot under plastic and could overheat. Also the uvb rays from the sun can't get through glass or plastic so she won't benefit from that Or do you have another safe outdoor enclosure to make sure she is safe from predators? (including birds who could carry her off) She will need a sheltered area in it so that she can get out of the sun; water should also be available at all times. Short supervised time only will be needed for babies - that should be in the caresheets too.

Their growth rate will vary depending on their care. The things that make torts sick are usually caused by the wrong care so its important to follow the caresheets.

Hopefully @Yvonne or @Tom will be along soon and now your pics are there they can advise you on making her box safe.

Mariia

Cyprus
It's hard to tell the size of the home but it looks very small and not very high so I don't know if you could safely add any lamps in there without it being a fire risk, so yes - s/he will need something bigger asap. A larger reptile vivarium with fittings for heat and light fixtures would be better while she is a baby.
The caresheet tells you all about that and how to provide and retain heat/humidity.

Torts will be inactive if they are too cold, that is why you need to check her temps day and night at her level and make sure they match the caresheet advice.

They also need heat to help their digestive system work properly, but too much heat can kill them. It can also cause inactivity - aestivation "Animals that aestivate become inactive and stop feeding in response to warm temperature" So getting the balance right is vital.
Many members use a thermostat for any heat sources so that it switches on and off in response to the temps and stops temps getting too cold or hot. Something like this but there are a digital ones available too.
View attachment 360980

It's also very important for health that she has room to move about.

UVB is essential to help them absorb minerals etc.
When you put her out in the sun do you just move her home outside with the cover on?
If so she will get very hot under plastic and could overheat. Also the uvb rays from the sun can't get through glass or plastic so she won't benefit from that Or do you have another safe outdoor enclosure to make sure she is safe from predators? (including birds who could carry her off) She will need a sheltered area in it so that she can get out of the sun; water should also be available at all times. Short supervised time only will be needed for babies - that should be in the caresheets too.

Their growth rate will vary depending on their care. The things that make torts sick are usually caused by the wrong care so its important to follow the caresheets.

Hopefully @Yvonne or @Tom will be along soon and now your pics are there they can advise you on making her box safe.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I check the temperature always and I took out the top when she outside and take care about her. I try make my best and read really a lot. Now I'm in process to prepare nice house for her. Becouse winter is coming 😅