heat mat queation

Walkers

5 Year Member
So I'm going to keep my sulcatas night box at 80 degrees. I'll be using a heat mat and a radiant heat panel. My question is what do you guys set your heat mat to? Since the air inside the box will differ from the mat. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put them both on the same thermometer, set that too the temp you want and turn the heating devices on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the winter when we have cooler days and they can't warm up as much, I set my thermostats at 80-85. In the summer I set them at 70ish for older tortoises and 75ish for juveniles.

I hang my thermostat probe a couple of inches from the wall about in the middle of the box, not near the heat sources. So when the air temp in the box gets to my thermostat setting, the heat kicks off. This is why its important for them to be able to get off the heat when they want to, but still be in the warm box.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops, sorry, I seen I poster thermometer. I did mean thermostat. Thermometer, would not really turn them on or off:D

argus333

5 Year Member
i have pig blanket on floor in day time i turn it all the way down on reostat an all the up at night. and have oil filled heater on thermostat set at 86 all day and night. I'm in nj an this winter has been fridged.

clbarna18

Camp Hill, PA
i have pig blanket on floor in day time i turn it all the way down on reostat an all the up at night. and have oil filled heater on thermostat set at 86 all day and night. I'm in nj an this winter has been fridged.
I live in PA and find that my basement is a bit too cold for our tortoise. Have you noticed the oil filled heater has increased your electric bill? Asking since I would need to run it day/night as well. I am also curious where you purchased your pig blanket.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in PA and find that my basement is a bit too cold for our tortoise. Have you noticed the oil filled heater has increased your electric bill? Asking since I would need to run it day/night as well. I am also curious where you purchased your pig blanket.
This thread is more than 7 years old. This member doesn't post anymore.

Radiant oil heaters use 700 watts on low or 1500 watts on high. That will definitely be noticeable on the electric bill.

You can get Kane mats from Tortoisesupply.com.

clbarna18

Camp Hill, PA
This thread is more than 7 years old. This member doesn't post anymore.

Radiant oil heaters use 700 watts on low or 1500 watts on high. That will definitely be noticeable on the electric bill.

You can get Kane mats from Tortoisesupply.com.
Thank you. I will check out the Kane mats.