Heat - Max Exposure?

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
We had an aquarium bust (110g flooding) and so the flood restoration company has set a bunch of industrial fans and industrial de-humidifiers up... causing the ambient temp in our house to skyrocket.... thus resulting in my animal enclosures to also skyrocket. My 1.5 year old sulcata "Charlie" is in an indoor enclosure that is way too big to move. His temps are reaching about 90+ degrees... I turned down the basking light a bit and keep spraying everything down....... so long story short... what is a temp that is far too high for Charlie?
and I can tell he has been super hot... he actually has been going in his humid hide! he never goes in there. any comments and suggestions totally appreciated so no harm comes to my little guy!!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
He should be kept between 80-100. However, 100 is the basking temp
He should be able to get out of the higher temps. If your house is above 80 just turn off his basking lamp. It should be off at night anyway. It'll be like an extended night.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The thermal max for most all tortoises is 105°. If their body temp reaches and stays at that, it can be lethal. An enclosure climbing to the mid 90's° will not be a problem if that is a temporary situation. Sulcata's also can cool themselves with vigorous "panting" (pumping their forelegs and throat) accompanying a pronounced salivation. This allows them to survive temperatures even above 115° for shorter periods. They would normally avoid this totally by retreating to a burrow.

As suggested above, turn off the basking lights and just leave a fluorescent on. I use LED bulbs in my outdoor night boxes to give a photoperiod cycle yet not overheat the box with daytime temps.

Fresno, CA
The thermal max for most all tortoises is 105°. If their body temp reaches and stays at that, it can be lethal. An enclosure climbing to the mid 90's° will not be a problem if that is a temporary situation. ..... turn off the basking lights and just leave a fluorescent on.
thank you!! puts my mind at ease... yes.. temporary... I believe they pull the fans out tomorrow... I just wanted to make sure like a 90 temp was okay for a bit. I now turned off the bask light and just the 48" UVA/UVB light on (no heat emitted)... and made sure everything is moist to help cool...measuring about 85 on one side and 90 on the other... Thanks again for the data on ways they cool .... very interesting. :)