Heat question for Russian tort

Kat1975

Hello, I will be getting a Russian at some point but first I am going to set up for it. My question is can I use an under the tank heating pad or do I need to use a basking lamp? Reason I am asking is I know my cats will try to get on top of the enclosure and could knock the lamp off. I am trying to figure out best set up along with safety.

Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Welcome to TFO!!! :D
Don't worry about the kitty :p There are 7 over here and they hardly EVER bother with my turtles/torts. Sometimes they'll watch the turtles algae sucker, but that;s it :)
Here is a GREAT care sheet for russians-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/-you'll learn a bunch about tortoises here! :D I have to warm you though, them little guys are additive like nothing else... you may start out with one, and end up with way more;)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You need to hang a UVB bulb. Under tank heaters are no good, and sometimes dangerous. Tanks are dubious at best.

Delilah1623

I was going to buy a plant hook that screwed into the wall to hang the light from. That way if the cats bump it it'll just swing and not fall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your best solution will be to make a closed chamber with all your heating and lighting equipment inside. This way kitties won't have access to it and your tortoise will always be safe.

A closed chamber also makes it much easier and far cheaper to maintain the heat and humidity levels you desire.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can hang the bulb from a lamp stand, zero med and Zillah each sell them I think. Get the kind with the flat base that you can put under the enclosure. The heavy enclosure will keep it from being knocked over. I have to cats and they don't bother the tortoise and closures at all. If they do touch that lamp they'll only touch it once it's hotter then you know what.

Kat1975

Tom, Do you have a picture or link of how to make an closed chamber? I have never seen one.

Delilah 1623, that sounds like a good idea!

Thanks