Heat rocks

Number1Platypus

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
How do you guys feel about heating rocks? I have one and set it low on the settings. My boxie seems to love it, I just gave it to him today and it's also keeping the tank humid for some reason and I was having trouble with that so I'm liking it lol. And my room gets so cold at night and I haven't turned my heat on yet so I like the idea of him having something keep him warm but I figured I'd get some opinions on it just incase

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am totally against hot rocks for turtles and tortoises. I have seen them malfunction causing burns. A little turtle sitting on a hot rock will dehydrate a lot more quickly.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I am totally against hot rocks for turtles and tortoises. I have seen them malfunction causing burns. A little turtle sitting on a hot rock will dehydrate a lot more quickly.
Well I let the rock sit out for a few hours so I could see how hot it gets and I set it so it wasn't hot at all just kind of warm. Do you think it'd be okay just for night time? If not what do you think I should do to keep the tank warm while the the heat light is off

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not okay at any time. They are dangerous. They regularly malfunction and frequently cause burns. This is not a safe way to heat your turtle. If you need night heat use a CHE set on a thermostat.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
It is not okay at any time. They are dangerous. They regularly malfunction and frequently cause burns. This is not a safe way to heat your turtle. If you need night heat use a CHE set on a thermostat.
Okay thank you I'll take it out right now. Good thing I checked! Any thoughts on how to keep it humid without a mister or a place to get a cheap one?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ahhh, this is one of those debatable issues....some will use them on a low setting buried deep into the substrate and others will curse them ....I would worry that if you leave the heat rock out above the substrate then the turtle/tortoise can end up staying on it and causing damage to their shell....and if you submerge the rock into the substrate then you run the risk of damaging the element itself by being under substrate either too dry or too moist for its purpose....hmmmm? I would opt to get a short heating rope, attach it to a piece of tile, so it does not get tangled up in the tort digging down towards it, and then bury that piece of tile deeply into the substrate and this will warm the soil but not offer the shock hazard nor burn hazard---due to the heat ropes are designed to be under the dirt/moist soil.....just a thought....here is what I am referring to;

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=116&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

There are a variety of brands and I only attached this one here for reference to the type of product and am in no way endorsing this company (not that anything is wrong with them.....):p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And what are your thoughts on the flat heating mats?

Same thing. Turtles and tortoises need heat from overhead. I can't even count the number of reptiles I've seen burned by heat rocks and heat mats. It happens far less nowadays because most people know not to use them. But the pet stores still sell them because people still buy them.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Ahhh, this is one of those debatable issues....some will use them on a low setting buried deep into the substrate and others will curse them ....I would worry that if you leave the heat rock out above the substrate then the turtle/tortoise can end up staying on it and causing damage to their shell....and if you submerge the rock into the substrate then you run the risk of damaging the element itself by being under substrate either too dry or too moist for its purpose....hmmmm? I would opt to get a short heating rope, attach it to a piece of tile, so it does not get tangled up in the tort digging down towards it, and then bury that piece of tile deeply into the substrate and this will warm the soil but not offer the shock hazard nor burn hazard---due to the heat ropes are designed to be under the dirt/moist soil.....just a thought....here is what I am referring to;

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=116&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

There are a variety of brands and I only attached this one here for reference to the type of product and am in no way endorsing this company (not that anything is wrong with them.....):p
Hmm the website came up but no product was on there. I'll try looking them up lol

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Same thing. Turtles and tortoises need heat from overhead. I can't even count the number of reptiles I've seen burned by heat rocks and heat mats. It happens far less nowadays because most people know not to use them. But the pet stores still sell them because people still buy them.
Okay and what about the heat rope ascott was talking about? Sorry I'm new with boxies and am just trying to figure what's best to do!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I believe gentle heat from below is great for tortoises and turtles. I have seen more damage done to reptiles from hot light bulbs and CHE's than from electric rocks. I have hot rocks that are older than probably 75% of the current TFO members, I have seen some fail but never by over heating to the extent to cause damage. I no longer use hot rocks, by choice, not by fear. ---If people choose to use them they should separate the rock from the animal so that the animal can never touch the rock but benefit from the heat.--- There are many ways to accomplish this. I no longer use hot lights or CHE,s placed above my tortoises for the main heat source. I'm old and seen this hobby and equipment used change over the years, I remember when the ceramic heat emitters had the heating coil exposed, If you or the animal touched it not only did you get burned you would get an electric shock also. Box turtles do not need much heat to stay active so be careful to not over do it with what ever you do.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I believe gentle heat from below is great for tortoises and turtles. I have seen more damage done to reptiles from hot light bulbs and CHE's than from electric rocks. I have hot rocks that are older than probably 75% of the current TFO members, I have seen some fail but never by over heating to the extent to cause damage. I no longer use hot rocks, by choice, not by fear. ---If people choose to use them they should separate the rock from the animal so that the animal can never touch the rock but benefit from the heat.--- There are many ways to accomplish this. I no longer use hot lights or CHE,s placed above my tortoises for the main heat source. I'm old and seen this hobby and equipment used change over the years, I remember when the ceramic heat emitters had the heating coil exposed, If you or the animal touched it not only did you get burned you would get an electric shock also. Box turtles do not need much heat to stay active so be careful to not over do it with what ever you do.
I just have its heat lamp over part of the tank but while it's off at night his tank gets really cold because it's been really cold out lately and my room is the coldest room in the house. I'd move him to a different room but I have a lot of cats and they'd try to eat the cords and mess with everything. My brother suggested a red bulb from the pet store, I've never used one so I'm not sure if it's good or not xD

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How cold is really cold? A night time drop in temps is fine. As long as it's 60 or above you don't need to be concerned.

For keeping the humidity up & substrate moist, just pour water in.