Heat sources

Jenminer

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hello members, does anyone have any favorite brands of heat mats and other heat sources they use for their Sulcatas' outdoor housing?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Hello members, does anyone have any favorite brands of heat mats and other heat sources they use for their Sulcatas' outdoor housing?
Well I'm sorry to not be able to address your specific question regarding heat mats. I'm not using one and I never have except for snakes not tortoises. What I use in my outdoor hot house for my sulcata is an electric, oil filled, radiant space heater available inexpensively, (read cheap here) at WallyWorld. They work great and for the most part are safe to use. My tortoise house is 4'x8' and this keeps it toasty warm inside. Right now here in Mid-Oregon it's 56° and my tortoise house is 87° on the cool side. You can kind of make it out here in this picture in the very back of the houseImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486627441.341555.jpg

Clawem

I also use the oil filled radiators 15 deg outside 85 deg inside a well insulated box and you should be good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I swear by Stansfield heat mats. I buy them from Osborne Industries:

http://www.osbornepetsupply.com/product-category/heat-pads/stanfield-heat-pads/

The 1.5 x 2 foot pad suits most of my applications here. But don't buy their cheaper controller. Buy this one:

http://www.osbornepetsupply.com/product/f911-manual-heat-pad-control/

I have been using these for over 25 years. They don't wear out. I'm still using some I bought that long ago.