Heated Cat House???

jensnyder07

Location (City and/or State)
MOUNT PLEASANT
It's August and i'm already thinking December! Our family lacks DIY skills, so we were looking for something easy and safe to provide heat to our RF Tortoise in the winter months (we live in coastal SC). We found a heated cat house on amazon. Wondering if anyone has tried this (or somethign like this) before, and had any success. Amazon Link here: Heated Outdoor Cat House. We'll bring her in on cold nights, but trying to maximize her time outside as much as possible. Thanks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is actually soft side and could be eaten. A wooden dog house would be much better with an RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) and a thermostat installed. You could hang some plastic strips over the door way to maintain heat. I am in VA and over wintering is not an option either, but lengthing the seasons is very beneficial. A proper well insulated night box is best, but I get it some people don't do construction nor have endless funds to hire them. Besides my carpenter would probably laugh at me if I asked him to build a tortoise house- he is so busy with one room remodels/upgrades that small jobs are avoided. I would add some peeel and stick floor tiles to the floor to make it last longer.

jensnyder07

MOUNT PLEASANT
That is actually soft side and could be eaten. A wooden dog house would be much better with an RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) and a thermostat installed. You could hang some plastic strips over the door way to maintain heat. I am in VA and over wintering is not an option either, but lengthing the seasons is very beneficial. A proper well insulated night box is best, but I get it some people don't do construction nor have endless funds to hire them. Besides my carpenter would probably laugh at me if I asked him to build a tortoise house- he is so busy with one room remodels/upgrades that small jobs are avoided. I would add some peeel and stick floor tiles to the floor to make it last longer.
Thank you! I'll look into that. :)