Heathy diet

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
My tortoise can’t have really weeds or flowers too much because my backyard is sprayed quite often he can only eat grass so I use grocery food and a calcium supplement that I put on his food I was wondering to keep his diet more fibrous is Missouri tortoise diet good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mazuri is one of the many amendments you can add in, but you need more than just one. You need lots.

The world is a big place. There are weeds and edible leaves outside of just your yard. You've chosen to not tell us where you are, but if you change that, you might get some suggestions.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My tortoise can’t have really weeds or flowers too much because my backyard is sprayed quite often he can only eat grass so I use grocery food and a calcium supplement that I put on his food I was wondering to keep his diet more fibrous is Missouri tortoise diet good

How big is the backyard? Have you tried offering to personally pull the weeds out yourself? That way they don't have to continually spend money spraying and you'll likely have all the weeds you'll need. And if you backyard is several acres, have you negotiating a small portion to stay pesticides and chemical free so that you'll have enough space to grow seed mixes, flowers, and broad leaf plants for your tortoise?

There's a lot of different options to obtain flowers, broad leaf plants, and succulents in the US. Online is usually the most popular. A tortoise online retailer like @Kapidolo Farms should have everything you need:

Mosin

Us
Mazuri is one of the many amendments you can add in, but you need more than just one. You need lots.

The world is a big place. There are weeds and edible leaves outside of just your yard. You've chosen to not tell us where you are, but if you change that, you might get some suggestions.
I’m in Arizona I’m little tho so I have no control over if my parents spray the weeds I’m just trying my best to take care of my lil dude cause I love him lots I’m just always constantly worried

Mosin

Us
How big is the backyard? Have you tried offering to personally pull the weeds out yourself? That way they don't have to continually spend money spraying and you'll likely have all the weeds you'll need. And if you backyard is several acres, have you negotiating a small portion to stay pesticides and chemical free so that you'll have enough space to grow seed mixes, flowers, and broad leaf plants for your tortoise?

There's a lot of different options to obtain flowers, broad leaf plants, and succulents in the US. Online is usually the most popular. A tortoise online retailer like @Kapidolo Farms should have everything you need:
I have some flowers for him

Mosin

Us
From where?

There are mulberry trees all over AZ. Spineless opuntia too.

There are many ways to supplement the diet.
I think I have some Mexican pentilas i’m sorry I don’t know how to spell it or pronounce it and I also have yellow trumpet flowers today I gave him a bit of Romain with his dandelion greens though so he’ll get more fiber I am also ordering Missouri tortoise diet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I have some Mexican pentilas i’m sorry I don’t know how to spell it or pronounce it and I also have yellow trumpet flowers today I gave him a bit of Romain with his dandelion greens though so he’ll get more fiber I am also ordering Missouri tortoise diet
Romaine is very low fiber. Romaine is not a way to add fiber.

I don't know if those flowers are safe to feed. Have you looked them up?

Get the ZooMed Grassland Pellets to add some fiber.

Mosin

Us

Ok before I realized some flowers were bad my tortoise always ate the trumpet ones and the penultas haven’t get trumpet lately because a while ago my dad didint know there could be bad flowers because the pet store basically just said feed him so we gave him a oleander tbh we don’t know anything about flowers he was ok but I have been careful ever since but he has loved the purple penutas so I have fed them here and their and I have done some searching and I’m pretty sure there safe can’t find much on them tho.

Mosin

Us
Ok before I realized some flowers were bad my tortoise always ate the trumpet ones and the penultas haven’t get trumpet lately because a while ago my dad didint know there could be bad flowers because the pet store basically just said feed him so we gave him a oleander tbh we don’t know anything about flowers he was ok but I have been careful ever since but he has loved the purple penutas so I have fed them here and their and I have done some searching and I’m pretty sure there safe can’t find much on them tho.
Can u send the link to the pellets I should buy if I should get zoo med or mazouri

Mosin

Us

Can u send link

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can u send link
Here it is:

Understand that no tortoise loves this food the first time it sees it. There is a lengthy introduction period. Start with a tiny tiny amount at first. Get a small broken piece of one pellet and soak it with a little water in a bottle cap or something. When its mushy, mix it in throughly with the day's pre-chopped pre-wetted greens. Add something like a little grated cucumber to make it more sticky and appealing if needed. Gradually, over time use a larger and larger piece of the ZooMed pellet. Eventually you can graduate to a whole pellet.

This is one of many ways to improve the quality of grocery store foods and add variety. Also check out Will's website @Kapidolo Farms .com for more ideas on dried leaves from a wide assortment of plants that you can add in.

Know anyone with a horse? You can buy horse pellets, which are plain blended up horse hay, with no additives and formed into a pellet shape. Soak those and mix in too to add fiber. Again you'd start with a tiny tiny amount and gradually work your way up to more and more.

Mosin

Us
Here it is:

Understand that no tortoise loves this food the first time it sees it. There is a lengthy introduction period. Start with a tiny tiny amount at first. Get a small broken piece of one pellet and soak it with a little water in a bottle cap or something. When its mushy, mix it in throughly with the day's pre-chopped pre-wetted greens. Add something like a little grated cucumber to make it more sticky and appealing if needed. Gradually, over time use a larger and larger piece of the ZooMed pellet. Eventually you can graduate to a whole pellet.

This is one of many ways to improve the quality of grocery store foods and add variety. Also check out Will's website @Kapidolo Farms .com for more ideas on dried leaves from a wide assortment of plants that you can add in.

Know anyone with a horse? You can buy horse pellets, which are plain blended up horse hay, with no additives and formed into a pellet shape. Soak those and mix in too to add fiber. Again you'd start with a tiny tiny amount and gradually work your way up to more and more.
Thx

Mosin

Us
Here it is:

Also any suggestions my tortoise won’t use his block or his pool so I make sure to soak him good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also any suggestions my tortoise won’t use his block or his pool so I make sure to soak him good
None of them use those blocks. Garbage. Use cuttle bones instead.

What sort of "pool" are you using? Picture?

Mosin

Us
None of them use those blocks. Garbage. Use cuttle bones instead.

What sort of "pool" are you using? Picture?
Also can you please link the bone think I should get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Mosin

Us
Do a search for "cuttle bone". You can find it at any pet store or online.
Hey Should I eventually switch to grasslandTortoise food once my tortoise really loves it so far he seems to really like it though which is good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Should I eventually switch to grasslandTortoise food once my tortoise really loves it so far he seems to really like it though which is good
I like to use it as a supplement along with a good varied diet of weeds, leaves, grasses, flowers and succulents. Not as a complete diet by itself. You can also use the Forrest tortoise one. As long as your tortoise is well hydrated, the small amount of extra protein won't hurt a thing.

I usually soak the pellets, and then mix them in with the day's greens, but you can use this food any way you like.

Mosin

Us
I like to use it as a supplement along with a good varied diet of weeds, leaves, grasses, flowers and succulents. Not as a complete diet by itself. You can also use the Forrest tortoise one. As long as your tortoise is well hydrated, the small amount of extra protein won't hurt a thing.

I usually soak the pellets, and then mix them in with the day's greens, but you can use this food any way you like.
How many do you think I should get him a day he’s a small Russian so