Heating an AP enclosure?

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hiya - I finally got around to setting up Harold's AP (Animal Plastics) enclosure. He was previously in a basic tank which he was starting to outgrow. I have placed his 100 Watt Ceramic Heater (CHE) on the dark side of the tank where Harold likes to sleep. This has an 8.5 inch circle screen (You can see I have a tandem fixture from the previous tank, but am only using the CHE. I am going to go purchase an 8.5 fixture so it fits in snug and doesn't release any heat. My question is.... is a 100 Watt enough to heat this size of an enclosure (48 x 24 x 15). It's only getting to 78 degrees on the warm side and around 75 on the cool end. Before I was keeping it around 85 on the warm end and 75 on the cool end. Do you think getting a light fixture that fits snug will prevent heat from escaping as it most likely is doing now? The cool side is actually quite fine for me. Harold has done well with this for quite some time, but I would like it to be warmer on the warm side of the enclosure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6636.JPG
    IMG_6636.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6637.JPG
    IMG_6637.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6638.JPG
    IMG_6638.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one can say what wattage will work in a given enclosure. I use two 100 watt CHEs to heat my large 4x8' closed chambers when the lights are off.

Having the correct size dome will probably not make a big difference. Whenever the heating or lighting elements are on the outside, it creates a chimney effect which draws your heat and humidity up and out. What works best is to have a closed top and put the heating elements inside the enclosure, so that ALL of the heat generated stays inside the enclosure where you want it.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I would maybe look into an 80 watt radiant heat panel. That's what a lot of people use inside the AP cages.
You are probably losing a little heat to the gap from the lights but im not sure if it would make enough difference to get a new dome.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What about heat tape? IIRC, the AP cages have a channel underneath for heat tape.