Heating night box?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Im getting ready to build a 8 x 4 night box for my 10 in Sulcata. I have ordered a oil filled radiator heater and two reptile thermostats. And plan on getting a pig blanket and heat panel.
My questions are:
1.)Can I run the radiator heater on the thermostat?
2.)Do I need a basking spot in the night box?
3.) If I needed a basking spot, could I use the pig blanket on the thermostat set to 110 degrees. While the ambient temp was 80 to 85 degrees
4.) Do I need to have a day bulb for a day and night cycle during the winter, he will have access to his yard, but some days might be too cold and wet.
5.) what are the clear flap things called on the entrance of night boxes called, and where can I get some?
Sorry if anything sounds confusing. Just want to get everything right before the weather gets to cool. I would rather work out any bugs now.
I have looked over several plans for night boxes and plan on building on similar to Toms

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Most radiators that are electric and plug in have thermostats with the on/off switch. No need for any kind of light or basking spot in a NIGHT house. It seems like you are being more redundant than a NASA mission. One heat source set for 70F to 75F is ample for a single tortoise, if you want a backup, that's great, a radiant heat panel on a thermostat is a good backup, set at the same temp.

When you suggest this is a night house, to me that implies the tortoise will have daytime access to an area suitable for tortoises. Is that what you mean, a NIGHTHOUSE, or are you asking about an all the time enclosure?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Most radiators that are electric and plug in have thermostats with the on/off switch. No need for any kind of light or basking spot in a NIGHT house. It seems like you are being more redundant than a NASA mission. One heat source set for 70F to 75F is ample for a single tortoise, if you want a backup, that's great, a radiant heat panel on a thermostat is a good backup, set at the same temp.

When you suggest this is a night house, to me that implies the tortoise will have daytime access to an area suitable for tortoises. Is that what you mean, a NIGHTHOUSE, or are you asking about an all the time enclosure?
It’s gonna be a night house, he has a outside area, I was curious for cold and wet days is all.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
It’s gonna be a night house, he has a outside area, I was curious for cold and wet days is all.
To answer you question more clearly, the 8 x 4 is the only climate controlled environment outside. He has a yard with shade and sunning spots, and black aprons to draw in heat during cooler months. I was asking about the basking spot and day cycle, just in case it was too cold outside for him.
We have mild winters and only really have about a month and a half of cold weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im getting ready to build a 8 x 4 night box for my 10 in Sulcata. I have ordered a oil filled radiator heater and two reptile thermostats. And plan on getting a pig blanket and heat panel.
My questions are:
1.)Can I run the radiator heater on the thermostat?
2.)Do I need a basking spot in the night box?
3.) If I needed a basking spot, could I use the pig blanket on the thermostat set to 110 degrees. While the ambient temp was 80 to 85 degrees
4.) Do I need to have a day bulb for a day and night cycle during the winter, he will have access to his yard, but some days might be too cold and wet.
5.) what are the clear flap things called on the entrance of night boxes called, and where can I get some?
Sorry if anything sounds confusing. Just want to get everything right before the weather gets to cool. I would rather work out any bugs now.
I have looked over several plans for night boxes and plan on building on similar to Toms

I love numbered questions!

1. Yes, as long as your thermostat is rated for the wattage. I buy 1000 watt thermostats. They are good to go with all of my radiant oil heaters which range in wattage usage from 400-700 watts. I've found that the thermostats on the units are not accurate enough. Temp swings of 15-20 degrees all night were the norm when I tried that. I turn the thermostat on the heater up almost all the way, and then set the reptile thermostat to run the heater at 80 degrees. I bump it up to 86 in winter and down to 70 in summer when every day is near 100 degrees here.
  2. No. No heat lamps over larger tortoises. You'll "slow-burn" the top of the carapace.
  3. Yes, you can use a Kane mat in that way during the colder winter days. Not a bad idea.
  4. No. Not needed. If you want it anyway, use a LED strip.
  5. Door flap material for commercial freezers is what I use. Many things will work.
Using a combination of numbers 1, 3 and 4 would be awesome. Ambient set to 80, and then a Kane mat set on a timer and a thermostat to come on in the morning and get to 95, with an LED set on the same timer over it.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I love numbered questions!

1. Yes, as long as your thermostat is rated for the wattage. I buy 1000 watt thermostats. They are good to go with all of my radiant oil heaters which range in wattage usage from 400-700 watts. I've found that the thermostats on the units are not accurate enough. Temp swings of 15-20 degrees all night were the norm when I tried that. I turn the thermostat on the heater up almost all the way, and then set the reptile thermostat to run the heater at 80 degrees. I bump it up to 86 in winter and down to 70 in summer when every day is near 100 degrees here.
  2. No. No heat lamps over larger tortoises. You'll "slow-burn" the top of the carapace.
  3. Yes, you can use a Kane mat in that way during the colder winter days. Not a bad idea.
  4. No. Not needed. If you want it anyway, use a LED strip.
  5. Door flap material for commercial freezers is what I use. Many things will work.
Using a combination of numbers 1, 3 and 4 would be awesome. Ambient set to 80, and then a Kane mat set on a timer and a thermostat to come on in the morning and get to 95, with an LED set on the same timer over it.
Thank you so much

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Same as in the wild, when it's not suitable to go out they stay in their unlighted much less warm burrow.
Fair enough, but wild Africa and wild South Carolina are fairly different climates.
I appreciate your input all the same