Heating options questions

sulandcata

Location (City and/or State)
Nuevo Leon
Hi good afternoon at the moment I have a white heat bulb of 100W similar to this one. I wanted to change the light bulb to non-light emiting ceramic heat lamp I wanted to know if it is a good idea or not?

The One I have
1630033133133.png

The one I want to Buy it is 100 W too
1630033311358.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It depends. Is that the only light you have in the enclosure?
The che is good for night heat when there should be no light. It's also good for added day heat if a basking bulb isn't enough. A che can work for a basking bulb but most tortoises will go to the light to bask like they would go to a sunny spot.
So, yes you can switch them as long as there is light for during the day with uvb and a basking spot light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the enclosure and all equipment along with the temps, day, night, ambient and basking. Also what the humidity is. Post a pic of your tort too.

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
O perfect thank you very much at the moment I do have a UV B but is the normal one that thye sell you at pet stores added a picture of the UVB that I use for light but I am gonna change it for the tube one in the new enclosure at the moment the humidity is 60-70 is the highest I can maintain it with plastic and covering the enclousre I am finishing a closed enclousre. Since the ones I have are starting to get small for them.

This is the UVB I have at the moment
1630040106496.png

The one I am adding after pay day
1630040161752.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
O perfect thank you very much at the moment I do have a UV B but is the normal one that thye sell you at pet stores added a picture of the UVB that I use for light but I am gonna change it for the tube one in the new enclosure at the moment the humidity is 60-70 is the highest I can maintain it with plastic and covering the enclousre I am finishing a closed enclousre. Since the ones I have are starting to get small for them.

This is the UVB I have at the moment
View attachment 331744

The one I am adding after pay day
View attachment 331745
Yea that coil one can cause eye problems. I wouldn't use it for long.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm a big fan of CHEs run through a thermostat and set at the baseline temp you want for the enclosure.

Then your daytime lighting (which should be on a timer, not a thermostat) can pull that upwards a bit, which will bring a natural up and down cycle in your enclosure.

There are lots of ways to manage heating and lighting, but that's one that has worked for me across a bunch of torts with varying temp/light/humidity needs.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi good afternoon at the moment I have a white heat bulb of 100W similar to this one. I wanted to change the light bulb to non-light emiting ceramic heat lamp I wanted to know if it is a good idea or not?

The One I have
View attachment 331742

The one I want to Buy it is 100 W too
View attachment 331743
What species?

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In the UK, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
Thank you very much for the answers sorry I thougth i did put the species they are 2 sulcatas and they do get outside time specially know that we are at 30-35C during day but still since that wont be always since some winters get a little bit colder than 15C. I will be getting both lights todays tyvm again for the answers