Heating options

Leopardnovice

Location (City and/or State)
Penryn ca
I have a 13 year old male Leopard Tortoise who is about 15 pounds. He lives outdoors in a pasture and has a large plastic enclosure to go for warmth.

I currently only have a ceramic bulb for him to bask under. I was looking at kane heating mats, would you recommend both the overhead heat and mat below as well?

If so, is the kane mat with the rheostat better than the self regulating?

Thank you so much!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 13 year old male Leopard Tortoise who is about 15 pounds. He lives outdoors in a pasture and has a large plastic enclosure to go for warmth.

I currently only have a ceramic bulb for him to bask under. I was looking at kane heating mats, would you recommend both the overhead heat and mat below as well?

If so, is the kane mat with the rheostat better than the self regulating?

Thank you so much!!
For winter your tortoise will need a much more substantial insulated house.

CHEs are not a good option for larger tortoises like yours in outdoor enclosures. They "slow burn" the top of the carapace and never let the tortoise get warm enough at its core. The colder the air temp the worse it is. They will also lose a lot of heat through the ground in an uninsulated house.

The Kane mat is an excellent choice. A Kane mat in combination with a RHP (radiant heat panel) overhead makes a perfect combo and will keep an insulated tortoise night box warm all winter. Get just the regular Kane mat with no rheostat, and plug it and the RHP into your own thermostat. Put the thermostat's probe in the far corner of the box, far away from either heat source. This will keep the heat sources on and warming the tortoise, but kick them off on warm sunny days. Set your thermostat for 80 in spring and fall. You can drop it to 70 if your area has hot 100 degree days all summer. Set the thermostat to 86 for winter with cooler days and all the overcast and rain.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about, and your questions are welcome. Welcome to the forum!

Leopardnovice

Penryn ca

CHEs are not a good option for larger tortoises like yours in outdoor enclosures. They "slow burn" the top of the carapace and never let the tortoise get warm enough at its core. The colder the air temp the worse it is. They will also lose a lot of heat through the ground in an uninsulated house.

The Kane mat is an excellent choice. A Kane mat in combination with a RHP (radiant heat panel) overhead makes a perfect combo and will keep an insulated tortoise night box warm all winter. Get just the regular Kane mat with no rheostat, and plug it and the RHP into your own thermostat. Put the thermostat's probe in the far corner of the box, far away from either heat source. This will keep the heat sources on and warming the tortoise, but kick them off on warm sunny days. Set your thermostat for 80 in spring and fall. You can drop it to 70 if your area has hot 100 degree days all summer. Set the thermostat to 86 for winter with cooler days and all the overcast and rain.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about, and your questions are welcome. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you so much!!! I will work on fixing his home right away. Thank you for such a thor

Thank you so much! I am going to follow your same design plan for a new insulated home! What radiant heat panel do you use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much!!! I will work on fixing his home right away. Thank you for such a thor

Thank you so much! I am going to follow your same design plan for a new insulated home! What radiant heat panel do you use?
I use the VE (Vivarium Electronics) ones, and have had no problems with them. I think any RHP will work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
80 watt appropriate?
Yes. That is what I use. And the 18x28 inch Kane mat. If you make the box 4x4 feet, there will be room inside the box for the tortoise to get off of the mat, but still be in the warm air.