Heating Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I'm having a problem properly heating my new Russian Tort's rubbermaid home. I have a lamp on him, its an exo terra and from what I know it's not a UVB lamp. I put the thermometer in where the light hits and it says its 70 degrees! Yikes! I thought that would be his warmest spot =( So now I'm freaking out because he's doesn't have a 90 degree basking spot. My question is how do I properly create this area for him? What heaters/lamps should I use? Again, I'm using a rubbermaid storage container for Toby because I can't keep him outside right now. Also, he's not eating much at the moment, do you think that could be because of his temperature? Or because of his new move? His previous owner kept a red light on him at night, but I read that I didn't need to do that, so I stopped. Should I start shining the red light on him at night again? Please help! I'm worried about my tortoise! But other than that, he seems fine. Thanks everyone! =)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One way is to lower the fixture so the bulb is closer to the floor of the habitat. However, don't exceed the precautionary distance in the instructions that came with the bulb. Also, you can partially cover the habitat to hold the heat in. You can add another light fixture, containing a regular 75watt incandescent bulb. Or you can add a CHE, ceramic heat emitter. But if you get a CHE be sure to buy a fixture that has a ceramic base, not a plastic base. The CHE gets pretty hot.

Yvonne

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I can definitely put the rubbermaid cover over half of the container if that would work. Do you think the CHE has the potential to melt the rubbermaid container? I got a tortoise starter kit (lol) and there is a Basking Spot Lamp 75 Watt. Do you think that could be ok? The brand is Repti. I just don't know if it will work in the lighting fixture I have, and since I didn't buy the lighting fixture, I don't have any information about it. Do you know if those lighting fixtures will fit most bulbs like that? Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.