Hedgehog.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Just been out collecting weeds, dried leaves and spagnhum moss. On the way home we found a hedgehog curled up at the side of the road in broad daylight. Not sure if it's injured or not. It's not fully curling up or walking about and it's not opened its eyes yet.
Anyway for now I've put it in a box with a pile of leaves and some water and cat food.
1st one I've seen in about 5 yrs. I remember seeing them regularly as a child, many times you'd see a mother walking with 3 or 4 babies walking in a line behind her.
Soon as we know this one is ok I'll let it go in the area we found it. Trouble is they should be coming up to hibernation soon. Maybe our unusual mild weather is playing a role with this one.
IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1278.JPG

N

no one

Isn't there a hedgehog rescue you can take it to? They probably know better what to do and help the poor thing.

It is illegal to take European Hedgehogs in here in the Netherlands. I assume in the UK too. I hope you can take it to a rescue.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Isn't there a hedgehog rescue you can take it to? They probably know better what to do and help the poor thing.

It is illegal to take European Hedgehogs in here in the Netherlands. I assume in the UK too. I hope you can take it to a rescue.
We came to the conclusion last night it wasn't very well, so the plan was to contact a rescue centre this morning. I got up at 2am to see how it was and it was dead. We think it had been hit by a car and just managed to get to the curb side. Poor thing, I'm gutted. :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Before I went to bed last night it was still breathing but it started uncurling and I could see blood down the inside of it.
Nothing else we could have done at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I saw the pictures yesterday and had a very bad feeling about it, poor thing. :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We had the same thoughts Lisa. The fact it wasn't curling up into a tight ball was suggesting it was dying.

N

no one

Oh, how awfull!! Poor Hedgehog... *sad* I hate it when this happens!! Like you said there are to little of them left. I love them so. Always have...

Wish people where more careful!! Stupid people!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Before I went to bed last night it was still breathing but it started uncurling and I could see blood down the inside of it.
Nothing else we could have done at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon.
Very sad, but you did all you could.
Yes, almost certainly a car hit it.