Height of Boards for Olivia's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I am wondering how high I need the sides to be on her new enclosure, she is a young adult. I just want to make sure it is tall enough for her counting a couple of inches of substate. Would total 12" high be fine?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I made the sides of my enclosure 18 inches tall, figuring 4-5 inches for substrate and then a foot or so for her living space. I now wish I had made the walls at least 2 feet tall because I'd like to put in a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) to keep the temps up, but 14 inches is really not enough space: the CHE in its fixture will hang too close to her. So I have to use a heater to keep the temperature in the room her enclosure is in between 75 and 85 degrees, which is much warmer than the rest of our house. This was my first ever tortoise enclosure, and I plan to totally re-do her winter enclosure next year. I will definitely have taller sides so I can use a CHE instead of heating the whole room.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
For my boxies' table, I made the sides 16" and that works well for them. (Granted, they're not as big as a cherry head.) The last table I built several years ago had 12" sides and it was much to short to accommodate the substrate and prevent escape.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Hunahpu said:
For my boxies' table, I made the sides 16" and that works well for them. (Granted, they're not as big as a cherry head.) The last table I built several years ago had 12" sides and it was much to short to accommodate the substrate and prevent escape.

Sok looks like I will have to figure something out to add on to make the sides taller. My husband made it 12"

Status
Not open for further replies.