Hello All, A quick couple of questions please

Flint

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich CT, USA
Hi all, my names Curtis ( please call me Curt lol), I've been a reptile person my whole life. So when my wife called me to ask if we could adopt a redfoot, I didn't hesitate to say Yes. So about a week ago we brought home Ugway. We have him in this old ( storage bin) habitat, while I build his new home. It will be 4'x6' and will be basically a Greenhouse in my office. But my questions are:

1, Is it normal for a redfoot to barley eat? I know its all new to him but I'm a little worried I've only seen him eat once.

2, I'm trying to figure out what type my redfoot is ( or should I say location from where came from?)
I know or believe its not a cherryhead as its head is pretty much all yellow. ( I'll post pics in a little bit)

Thanks

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It's normal for them to be nervous and not eat too much upon being set up in a new environment.

As soon as we see a picture of him/her, we can give you a general location depending on what they look like

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi all, my names Curtis ( please call me Curt lol), I've been a reptile person my whole life. So when my wife called me to ask if we could adopt a redfoot, I didn't hesitate to say Yes. So about a week ago we brought home Ugway. We have him in this old ( storage bin) habitat, while I build his new home. It will be 4'x6' and will be basically a Greenhouse in my office. But my questions are:

1, Is it normal for a redfoot to barley eat? I know its all new to him but I'm a little worried I've only seen him eat once.

2, I'm trying to figure out what type my redfoot is ( or should I say location from where came from?)
I know or believe its not a cherryhead as its head is pretty much all yellow. ( I'll post pics in a little bit)

Thanks
Whilst it's common for torts to be a little wary in their new environment and not eat for a while, it could also be that your set up needs tweaking. So to cover both scenarios we need to check your enclosure.
It needs to be a closed system so you can maintain an ambient temperature and correct humidity level.
For substrate, Ideally you want 3" deep with some spaghnum moss and orchid bark on the top layer, this give your tort the options to dig in to keep moist or sit on the coir to dry off at times. For the heat I use a simple CHE on a thermostat, on 24/7, aim for 82/86f throughout your enclosure, my humidity never drops below 80% usually it's around the 85/90% mark. For UVB use a 5.0 fluorescent tube(this will be your only light source), the length of the tube wants to fit to the width of your enclosure, set che and tube to one end(across the enclosure not diwn the length) uvb on a timer, on for 12/14hrs a day. My CHE usually is about a quarter of the enclosure length from the end(so in a 4ft long enclosure it would be about 1ft away from the end) this just gives a slight difference in the ambient temp from one end to the other. So ideally you'll end up with 86f at the light end and 82f at the dark end.
A hide at each end, feeding slate near the uvb source. I put 2 water dishes in that he can sit in. The evaporation if 2 dishes will maintain humidity. Every morning and every evening spray your torts carapace to make it wet, not the enclosure, just the Tortoise and maybe it's food to aid with hydration when he eats. Leave a cuttlebone in your enclosure 24/7. They love fresh cuttlebone(fish smell).
Hope that helps.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not the best pics, I got them from the adoption lol I will upload some tomorrow when ugway is awake.
That is a very nice looking northern redfoot. Be careful letting it roam on the floor though, I can see loads of stuff he will eat and choke on in that photo, not lecturing you, I've had mine out on the floor in the past so I have no right to, but I did clear everything away and I sat there on the floor with them and not on a carpet. Its just best not to let them on the floor, if it's a must for exercise, try using a couple of pallet collers for a temporary run. They are dirt cheap and fold away for storage. Cover the carpet too, it will eat the carpet and get fur balls.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Example of pallet collers.
You could fit them side by side to make a bigger area with a bit if sawing.
Screenshot_2016-11-26-13-17-59.png

Flint

Norwich CT, USA
Anyfoot- Norwich Ct USA, lol however we use to live in Scotland when I was a baby till I was 13. Also yes, I would never let Ugway on the carpet in my house, there the pics I got of him, before we took him in. His tank is a 100L plastic tote with a lid ( it was came with him) he will be in a 4'x6' greenhouse with a fully automated misting/ fogging system for humidity, and a automated system for heat and light as well. Well I'm up now so I'll get some pics of everything for you and ill look for the pallet collars, but I use a old shipping crate lid for lol golf clubs for him to walk around.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial. It is quite common for them to stop eating when moved to a new territory. All he's thinking about is is safety in this new place, and can he escape and find his way home. Give him some time and he'll start eating.

Here's a good read for you - Tortoise Library