Hello and any advice welcome!

Kac123

Location (City and/or State)
Exton PA
Hello! My daughters and I have found ourselves fostering a juvenile marginated tortoise for my nephew until Christmas. Her name is April. We are new to this and I welcome all advice as this has jumpstarted my desire to have a tortoise of my own! We are setting her up in an Aivituvin enclosure for the time we have her - is that enough space for an indoor enclosure for right now (winter in PA). She is about 3-4”. We were told to soak her once a week and we are working to get some enrichment for her.

Are there any “treats” that they enjoy? We have a small playpen type structure, is that ok for her to move around in for a bit each night? I will keep reading through posts!

Attachments

• IMG_7854.jpeg
    IMG_7854.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I don't know anything about the marginated tortoise, however, at 3-4" I'm assuming this is still a young tortoise, and young tortoises should be soaked more often than weekly.

I did a Google search for "aivituvin" enclosures, and there are more than one design, so I'm not sure what you have for your tortoise. Maybe take some pictures for us.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hello! My daughters and I have found ourselves fostering a juvenile marginated tortoise for my nephew until Christmas. Her name is April. We are new to this and I welcome all advice as this has jumpstarted my desire to have a tortoise of my own! We are setting her up in an Aivituvin enclosure for the time we have her - is that enough space for an indoor enclosure for right now (winter in PA). She is about 3-4”. We were told to soak her once a week and we are working to get some enrichment for her.

Are there any “treats” that they enjoy? We have a small playpen type structure, is that ok for her to move around in for a bit each night? I will keep reading through posts!
WELCOME..... I'm no expert either but do know this....The internet is full of WRONG info. Please don't get frustrated with the time it takes for get "expert" advice. This is the place you need to be, here you will get answers from real Tortoise people not some "pet store" advice. It may take a little time but you will get the expert advice you seek. There are people in different time zones that just need time and they'll answer. You will most likely teach your nephew some things by the time he gets the tort back.
Good luck foster parents

Kac123

Exton PA
Hi, and welcome!

I don't know anything about the marginated tortoise, however, at 3-4" I'm assuming this is still a young tortoise, and young tortoises should be soaked more often than weekly.

I did a Google search for "aivituvin" enclosures, and there are more than one design, so I'm not sure what you have for your tortoise. Maybe take some pictures for us.
1699891538539.png
We are still waiting for this to arrive so right now she is in a rubbermaid type container with some cyprus mulch. I know that what she is today is not big enough, but this will arrive tomorrow. This situation caught everyone by surprise (long story), so we are scrambling to make up for what my sister should have prepped ahead of time. I'm hopeful this will get her through the winter here at least - again, I was going off of internet information so I know there may be some fault in it. Thank you for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This enclosure will be ok for a short while, but it is really too small, so shouldn't be sent home when the tortoise goes home.

You'll need a good UVB light. I use a T5 fluorescent tube. I buy my lights at lightyourreptiles.com. Don't use the compact bulbs. they don't provide good UVB and have been known to be harmful to tortoise eyes.

Go to either chewy.com or Amazon and buy Reptibark. Buy the biggest bag they sell. You'll want to keep it fairly moist. Young tortoises benefit from a humid environment.

I don't know how to 'link' from my Kindle, but if you go to our mediteranean site,our care sheets are at the top of the sections.

Kac123

Exton PA
This enclosure will be ok for a short while, but it is really too small, so shouldn't be sent home when the tortoise goes home.

You'll need a good UVB light. I use a T5 fluorescent tube. I buy my lights at lightyourreptiles.com. Don't use the compact bulbs. they don't provide good UVB and have been known to be harmful to tortoise eyes.

Go to either chewy.com or Amazon and buy Reptibark. Buy the biggest bag they sell. You'll want to keep it fairly moist. Young tortoises benefit from a humid environment.

I don't know how to 'link' from my Kindle, but if you go to our mediteranean site,our care sheets are at the top of the sections.
Thank you for the response! Is there a pre-built enclosure that would be big enough for a bit? The vendor we got the tortoise from said to use a zoomed Powersun UVB bulb, like the one in the picture I am hopefully attaching :) . Is this ok? I have Reptibark coming tomorrow and thank you for saying to keep it moist - misting the enclosure was a question I had and forgot to ask. I'm heading to the Mediterranean site now!

1699893949117.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

1. This lamp might be too hot and drying for young tortoise shell. Look for T5 ReptiSun 10.0 lamp (long straight tube).
2. To moist Reptibark or cypress mulch - pour some water in corners. This way it works better, than spraying from top.
3. Also, to keep humidity and temperatures more stable - you will need to cover "meshed" part of the new enclosure. Maybe your Rubbermaid container is large enough to do the job.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the response! Is there a pre-built enclosure that would be big enough for a bit? The vendor we got the tortoise from said to use a zoomed Powersun UVB bulb, like the one in the picture I am hopefully attaching :) . Is this ok? I have Reptibark coming tomorrow and thank you for saying to keep it moist - misting the enclosure was a question I had and forgot to ask. I'm heading to the Mediterranean site now!

View attachment 363364
That bulb will cause pyramiding and is not the way to go.

Here is all the correct care info for you. There is a temperate species care sheet at the bottom too. I recommend reading through all of this at least a couple of times. Its a lot to take in, but these are the things you need to know.

Questions are welcome.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Is that clear plastic container her water dish ? If so, it's likely to tip over any time, and she needs a shallow terracotta plant saucer pushed low into the substrate so she can get in and out of it easily (the rough texture of theterracotta helps her to grip better)
She is very cute !
Angie

Kac123

Exton PA
Is that clear plastic container her water dish ? If so, it's likely to tip over any time, and she needs a shallow terracotta plant saucer pushed low into the substrate so she can get in and out of it easily (the rough texture of theterracotta helps her to grip better)
She is very cute !
Angie
Yes :( That is a rookie mistake. The vendor we got her from was adamant that there should be no water dish in the tank (he said that the water just gets cold and then the turtle sits in it and can't get out and drowns). My gut instinct was "all animals need some water available" so this was my attempt at a middle ground. It is fixed now. :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh... That's very... let's say ... interesting .. idea about water dish. If the water in dish gets too cold to make tortoise slow and passive, that means that the whole enclosure is too cold.
Please, give a read to the post, Tom linked above and use it as an authorative source on tortoise care.

If you feel confused or need something explained, please ask here.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Yes :( That is a rookie mistake. The vendor we got her from was adamant that there should be no water dish in the tank (he said that the water just gets cold and then the turtle sits in it and can't get out and drowns). My gut instinct was "all animals need some water available" so this was my attempt at a middle ground. It is fixed now. :)
I hope this was a big red flag for previous info and a big boost to your "Tortoise Care Confidence" that you now KNOW exactly what is needed to be done. We all want the best for every tortoise including your foster "kid."

Kac123

Exton PA
I hope this was a big red flag for previous info and a big boost to your "Tortoise Care Confidence" that you now KNOW exactly what is needed to be done. We all want the best for every tortoise including your foster "kid."
You are very kind :) I absolutely want to do right by the tortoise and I am thankful to have found this forum.

Kac123

Exton PA
Ok, I've read and re-read the various care guides and I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with. The enclosure for this little on is going to be 2'x3' (shown above) and my sister will need to upgrade it when she gets it to her house after Christmas. How big does the tortoise need to be for the cage to be upgraded in size (right now she is about 3 inches)? When she is 4 inches? 5? I read that hatchlings can be in a smaller enclosure until they get to be young adults - but what size turtle is that?
1) Lighting. I understand now that the Zoomed Powersun is incorrect. I need to replace this with a 65W incandescent bulb (which I assume I can put in the same domed fixture I have the powersun in right now). That I can do. This is where I get lost. I know I need to add a UVB light in some sort of fixture (outside isn't going to be a consistent option during the winter). Do I run the UV light alongside the incandescent light? Can I put two lights on one hanger? Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like? What size bulb or what strength is best? Is there a brand (US) that works better than others?
2) The new cage set up has a dark/enclosed/humid side. This won't be in the light. I keep my house at 68 degrees day and night. Should I add a heater to the dark side or is this temperature ok?
3) Food. We are stuck with grocery store produce right now but can at least get organic and a large variety of it until we can fix this. How much is the right amount to feed her? I originally went with a pile of food as big as her shell, but she eats all of that in the morning. We fed her more tonight and she ate most of that (not quite all of it). Is it ok to feed her twice a day like this? If we add in Mazuri, should it be at the same time as her greens or separate?

I'm so sorry for the flood of questions and for the ignorance of some of them! I greatly appreciate any help you can offer and I'm eager to learn!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ok, I've read and re-read the various care guides and I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with. The enclosure for this little on is going to be 2'x3' (shown above) and my sister will need to upgrade it when she gets it to her house after Christmas. How big does the tortoise need to be for the cage to be upgraded in size (right now she is about 3 inches)? When she is 4 inches? 5? I read that hatchlings can be in a smaller enclosure until they get to be young adults - but what size turtle is that?
1) Lighting. I understand now that the Zoomed Powersun is incorrect. I need to replace this with a 65W incandescent bulb (which I assume I can put in the same domed fixture I have the powersun in right now). That I can do. This is where I get lost. I know I need to add a UVB light in some sort of fixture (outside isn't going to be a consistent option during the winter). Do I run the UV light alongside the incandescent light? Can I put two lights on one hanger? Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like? What size bulb or what strength is best? Is there a brand (US) that works better than others?
2) The new cage set up has a dark/enclosed/humid side. This won't be in the light. I keep my house at 68 degrees day and night. Should I add a heater to the dark side or is this temperature ok?
3) Food. We are stuck with grocery store produce right now but can at least get organic and a large variety of it until we can fix this. How much is the right amount to feed her? I originally went with a pile of food as big as her shell, but she eats all of that in the morning. We fed her more tonight and she ate most of that (not quite all of it). Is it ok to feed her twice a day like this? If we add in Mazuri, should it be at the same time as her greens or separate?

I'm so sorry for the flood of questions and for the ignorance of some of them! I greatly appreciate any help you can offer and I'm eager to learn!
So cool to see the wheels spinning of a caring person's mind. You seem to be a Get It Done person as well. The only things I can sorta help with are the light ?....The UVB is only on for a couple hours a day 3-4 from what I am learning. Someone that is positive will answer soon. The 68 degrees sounds cold to me as well, real cold. And why can't a tort eat as much as it wants... I'm thinking this is ok. So basically I'm no expert but you sem to on the right track. Very Lucky Tortoise

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! It's great, that you have so many questions!

I'll answer on lightning first, then on the other queetions:

Yes, you can use incandescent lamp in your current dome.

For the UVB lamp there are two good options: ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia Desert 12%. Length doesn't matter much, you can get the shortest ones (the have the lowest wattage).

They are of type T5HO (high output) and can be used with standard suitable fixtures from a hardware store, or can be ordered with fixtures (more expensive). That's how they look like: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/

You can order the lamps from lightyourreptiles.com, Amazon, Chewy and such.

Placement:
UVB lamp should be put near the basking lamp, run it for 3-4 hours a day on timer around midday.

While you can put the lamp just on the mesh top, the UV output would be too harsh. It needs a small stand to raise it. Other option is to open the mesh lid and use hooks to hang it from mesh. Or buy a lamp stand or something. That's where you need to get creative or crafty. Target height is about 14-16 inches over top of tortoise shell. This several inches really matter in terms of UV exposure.

Some more:
1. UVB lamps have limited lifespan around 1-2 years (with 3-4 hours a day usage). UV output fades slowly and in a few months you can lower the lamp a bit to correct this.
2. I'm not comfortable with guessing if the lamp is dying, hangs too high or too low, how much UV is filtered by mesh (10-30%), should I use reflector or not. There is a measurement device Solarmeter 6.5 which helps to make things right. It's pricey but can pay for itself with less frequent lamp changes, for example. Maybe the breeder can borrow it for a day or two.
3. Sometimes you can find an offer - ZooMed ReptiSun Terrarium Hood with a lamp included. In this kit there is a ReptiSun 5.0 lamp. It has lower UV output and you can place it just over the mesh top. However, in approximately a 6 months you will need to replace the lamp (that's where Solarmeter comes handy).
4. You can add simple LED lights strip to provide ambient light as well for 12-14 hours.

I've tried not to complicate things, but I understand if there will be more questions

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Now the second part:
1. Target temperature in the enclosure should be closer to 80F with night drops to 75F. Under the basking lamp - about 95F.
2. Easiest and the most effective way to heat the enclosure (without ruining humidity) is to have separate heating element and a tight cover over the enclosure.
3. To provide ambient heating at day and night usually CHE (ceramic heat emitters) are used. It looks like white or black snails shell with E27 screw. To mount them you need a fixture with a ceramic socket and rated for CHE (I guess the one you have should work and you can get something less fancy for an incandescent lamp).
4. Heating element should be placed on a distance from a basking lamp, in a center of the enclosure or closer to the far end. In your case, it's probably between meshed and the dark side.
5. It's mandatory to use a thermostat with CHE (or any other heaters).
6. Enclosure cover. If your Rubbermaid container fits over the meshed part - great. If not - something like portable greenhouse top will work. Correct humidity and temperatures are essential for a young tortoise. Covered enclosure might look ugly, but a thriving tortoise with a smooth shell worth it. Some members switched Aitiuvin enclosures for Animal Plastics closed chamber and say it totally worth it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
3. On food:
with a large variety of "leafy greens", I think you are fine. Use Mazuri as a supplement (1-2 times a week) and it can be mixed with greens. Also it works well for introducing new foods (mushed with a small amount of new food).

It's okay to provide as much food for the tortoise as it needs and keep the food bowl always available. By the end of day only a few pieces should left.

There is an opinion, that overfeeding contributes to pyramiding, MBD and obesity, however it seems to apply only when other elements are in mess: calcium supplementation, diet contents, UVB, exercise and humidity. So just ignore it.

You can look in the enthical stores for some more variety: opuntia pads (aka "nopales") in Mexican shops, for example, is a great addition to tortoise diet. Or you can order dried greens/flower mixes from Kapidolo Farms.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Animal plastics enclosures are definitely worth it. They're really great people to work with on getting you the right enclosure. These also look to be a good backup choice I haven't used one personally but I was considering them when animal plastics was something like 4 months out on orders. I got lucky and animal plastics called me and asked if I wanted the extra one they made by accident.