Hello and any advice welcome!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
A wild tortoise eats as much as it wants at any time of day (if the food is available, of course.) Do let April have as much as she wants at any time of day too - she will know when to stop .
Angie

Kac123

Location (City and/or State)
Exton PA
Hello! It's great, that you have so many questions!

I'll answer on lightning first, then on the other queetions:

Yes, you can use incandescent lamp in your current dome.

For the UVB lamp there are two good options: ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia Desert 12%. Length doesn't matter much, you can get the shortest ones (the have the lowest wattage).

They are of type T5HO (high output) and can be used with standard suitable fixtures from a hardware store, or can be ordered with fixtures (more expensive). That's how they look like: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/

You can order the lamps from lightyourreptiles.com, Amazon, Chewy and such.

Placement:
UVB lamp should be put near the basking lamp, run it for 3-4 hours a day on timer around midday.

While you can put the lamp just on the mesh top, the UV output would be too harsh. It needs a small stand to raise it. Other option is to open the mesh lid and use hooks to hang it from mesh. Or buy a lamp stand or something. That's where you need to get creative or crafty. Target height is about 14-16 inches over top of tortoise shell. This several inches really matter in terms of UV exposure.

Some more:
1. UVB lamps have limited lifespan around 1-2 years (with 3-4 hours a day usage). UV output fades slowly and in a few months you can lower the lamp a bit to correct this.
2. I'm not comfortable with guessing if the lamp is dying, hangs too high or too low, how much UV is filtered by mesh (10-30%), should I use reflector or not. There is a measurement device Solarmeter 6.5 which helps to make things right. It's pricey but can pay for itself with less frequent lamp changes, for example. Maybe the breeder can borrow it for a day or two.
3. Sometimes you can find an offer - ZooMed ReptiSun Terrarium Hood with a lamp included. In this kit there is a ReptiSun 5.0 lamp. It has lower UV output and you can place it just over the mesh top. However, in approximately a 6 months you will need to replace the lamp (that's where Solarmeter comes handy).
4. You can add simple LED lights strip to provide ambient light as well for 12-14 hours.

I've tried not to complicate things, but I understand if there will be more question
Thank you so very much for this detailed response! This is exactly the information I was looking for! After work today I hope to sit and start ordering the supplies I need and I'm sure there will be more questions then and I will follow-up. Thank you again!

Kac123

Exton PA
Now the second part:
1. Target temperature in the enclosure should be closer to 80F with night drops to 75F. Under the basking lamp - about 95F.
2. Easiest and the most effective way to heat the enclosure (without ruining humidity) is to have separate heating element and a tight cover over the enclosure.
3. To provide ambient heating at day and night usually CHE (ceramic heat emitters) are used. It looks like white or black snails shell with E27 screw. To mount them you need a fixture with a ceramic socket and rated for CHE (I guess the one you have should work and you can get something less fancy for an incandescent lamp).
4. Heating element should be placed on a distance from a basking lamp, in a center of the enclosure or closer to the far end. In your case, it's probably between meshed and the dark side.
5. It's mandatory to use a thermostat with CHE (or any other heaters).
6. Enclosure cover. If your Rubbermaid container fits over the meshed part - great. If not - something like portable greenhouse top will work. Correct humidity and temperatures are essential for a young tortoise. Covered enclosure might look ugly, but a thriving tortoise with a smooth shell worth it. Some members switched Aitiuvin enclosures for Animal Plastics closed chamber and say it totally worth it.
I was concerned that my house was too cold. I read something about an adult being able to handle low 60s, but as April is so tiny still I didn't want it to get too low. I will get a heater and a way position it in the middle of the cage so that it will heat effectively. I have a green house cover, so I will definitely dig that out and use it. Again, thank you for sharing all of this!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so very much for this detailed response! This is exactly the information I was looking for! After work today I hope to sit and start ordering the supplies I need and I'm sure there will be more questions then and I will follow-up. Thank you again!
I happy to help. You can check the "basket" with us before ordering, just in case.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I was concerned that my house was too cold. I read something about an adult being able to handle low 60s, but as April is so tiny still I didn't want it to get too low. I will get a heater and a way position it in the middle of the cage so that it will heat effectively. I have a green house cover, so I will definitely dig that out and use it. Again, thank you for sharing all of this!
Yes, they can "handle", but that doesn't mean they enjoy it :))) And young tortoises are much less resilient.
And it's great that you have a greenhouse tent at hand. This way you can place all lightning and heating below and leave the lids open (UV will be more predictable in that case).

Kac123

Exton PA
This enclosure will be ok for a short while, but it is really too small, so shouldn't be sent home when the tortoise goes home.

You'll need a good UVB light. I use a T5 fluorescent tube. I buy my lights at lightyourreptiles.com. Don't use the compact bulbs. they don't provide good UVB and have been known to be harmful to tortoise eyes.

Go to either chewy.com or Amazon and buy Reptibark. Buy the biggest bag they sell. You'll want to keep it fairly moist. Young tortoises benefit from a humid environment.

I don't know how to 'link' from my Kindle, but if you go to our mediteranean site,our care sheets are at the top of the sections.
Hi! I’m getting the tank set up and wanted to check the substrate recommendation. I keep reading that for a young marginated should be on coco coir or soil and then reptibark as an adult. Chris from garden state says coco coir. What is best in this situation?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hi! I’m getting the tank set up and wanted to check the substrate recommendation. I keep reading that for a young marginated should be on coco coir or soil and then reptibark as an adult. Chris from garden state says coco coir. What is best in this situation?
I would stick with the Reptibark. It holds moisture well and less chance of the tortoise eating it or it getting stuck on its food. Also it is less mess and easier to maintain.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, agree with mojo_1. It's fine for hatchlings for the reasons mentioned. Coir is okay, but messes with food and water and more prone to mold than bark.

I would avoid using soil because of mud and mess when wet, unknown contents (composted yard waste may contain anything) and it's by definition good for growing things in it - in humid and warm environment it's usually only mold.

Kac123

Exton PA

For the UVB lamp there are two good options: ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia Desert 12%. Length doesn't matter much, you can get the shortest ones (the have the lowest wattage).

They are of type T5HO (high output) and can be used with standard suitable fixtures from a hardware store, or can be ordered with fixtures (more expensive). That's how they look like: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/

Placement:
UVB lamp should be put near the basking lamp, run it for 3-4 hours a day on timer around midday.

While you can put the lamp just on the mesh top, the UV output would be too harsh. It needs a small stand to raise it. Other option is to open the mesh lid and use hooks to hang it from mesh. Or buy a lamp stand or something. That's where you need to get creative or crafty. Target height is about 14-16 inches over top of tortoise shell. This several inches really matter in terms of UV exposure.

Some more:
1. UVB lamps have limited lifespan around 1-2 years (with 3-4 hours a day usage). UV output fades slowly and in a few months you can lower the lamp a bit to correct this.
2. I'm not comfortable with guessing if the lamp is dying, hangs too high or too low, how much UV is filtered by mesh (10-30%), should I use reflector or not. There is a measurement device Solarmeter 6.5 which helps to make things right. It's pricey but can pay for itself with less frequent lamp changes, for example. Maybe the breeder can borrow it for a day or two.
3. Sometimes you can find an offer - ZooMed ReptiSun Terrarium Hood with a lamp included. In this kit there is a ReptiSun 5.0 lamp. It has lower UV output and you can place it just over the mesh top. However, in approximately a 6 months you will need to replace the lamp (that's where Solarmeter comes handy).
4. You can add simple LED lights strip to provide ambient light as well for 12-14 hours.

I've tried not to complicate things, but I understand if there will be more questions
I'm back with more questions and specifics. The height of the tank itself is 13". If I got the terrarium hood with a Reptisun 5.0 lamp would it be ok to put that right on the mesh considering that the substrate will likely be a few inches and then the height of the tortoise herself? Or is my best option to get a 10.0 bulb and a hanger? I found these at

Placement:

Some more:

I've tried not to complicate things, but I understand if there will be more questions
I’m bank with more questions 😂. I bought a Reptisun 10.0 and a fixture for it. Is there a good way to rig these to be suspended or should I just try a few things?

Also, the biggest issue I am having is that it is impossible to buy incandescent light bulbs for basking. I found an old 75w bulb in a storage bin, but that isn’t a sustainable option. Is there something readily available that you can share a link to? I know there are specific reptile basking bulbs but Toms sheet says very clearly not to get anything labeled reptile so I don’t know what to do.

Kac123

Exton PA
I'm back with more questions and specifics. The height of the tank itself is 13". If I got the terrarium hood with a Reptisun 5.0 lamp would it be ok to put that right on the mesh considering that the substrate will likely be a few inches and then the height of the tortoise herself? Or is my best option to get a 10.0 bulb and a hanger? I found these at

I’m bank with more questions 😂. I bought a Reptisun 10.0 and a fixture for it. Is there a good way to rig these to be suspended or should I just try a few things?

Also, the biggest issue I am having is that it is impossible to buy incandescent light bulbs for basking. I found an old 75w bulb in a storage bin, but that isn’t a sustainable option. Is there something readily available that you can share a link to? I know there are specific reptile basking bulbs but Toms sheet says very clearly not to get anything labeled reptile so I don’t know what to do.
Would this be ok? It comes in 50 or 75w. https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...-basking-floodlight-65048.html?fmethod=Search

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. You really need to measure the height between mesh top and substrate. Every inch counts. Recommended distance for this specie and type of lamp is 11-12 inches to shell top. The easiest thing is to place something between hood edge and mesh. However, we are guessing here (without measurement device you won't know exact UV levels, but it's an expensive thing).
2. Yes, it's a known problem with incadescent lamps. You can still order them from Amazon or go with overpriced "reptile labeled" lamps - like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlamps (this are regular incandescents) from the link you've posted. Don't buy a halogen lamp by mistake.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Incandescent bulbs are being phased out everywhere, but here in CA they made it ILLEGAL to even sell them. So stupid. I tried to get my annual stock up while I was in Arizona last week, and the guy at Home Depot told me they shipped out the last remnants of those bulbs in August and they won't have them anymore. I found a few down the street at Ace hardware store, but not enough, and they were too darn expensive.

The Arcadia ones are excellent. I've previously said not to buy pet labeled ones because prior to Arcadia, the only one available were "intense" spot bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs and halogens, all of which are not suitable for tortoises, but fine for some other reptiles in some case. The pet store ones also used to be about 10 times the cost of the same bulb in a hardware store that isn't in a package with a reptile picture on it. Times they are a changin'...

Kac123

Exton PA
Slowly but surely we are working out the kinks. I am using the 75w Arcadia basking bulb and I can not seem to get the basking spot over 85. How close to the tortoise is ok to put the light? It is at about 9” above the top of her shell right now. Can I go an inch or two lower to gain the extra heat? If not, is there a better approach? Thank you again!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. How do you measure the temperature? Gauge or probe should be left for an hour or so to "warm up".
2. What is the temperature in other parts of the enclosure?

Kac123

Exton PA
1. How do you measure the temperature? Gauge or probe should be left for an hour or so to "warm up".
2. What is the temperature in other parts of the enclosure?
I have a thermometer with a probe for under the basking area. To set it all up I put the probe in the slate rock directly for about half an hour. Highest I hit was 85. I have the probe on the wall now and it is reading 82.8. The far end with the food fish says it is at 75. It is at 70 in the covered area.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So far looks good. You can lower the lamp a little, may be an inch.

If you haven't made a cover over enclosure yet this could be the issue as well.