hello can anyone help identify our tortoise breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodge

5 Year Member
hello, we have recently been given a tortoise, i have no idea how old or even what breed he is? (or even if he is indeed a he?)
from a lot of reading on here and other sites we think he is a hermans..
He has been living in a vivarium for a number of years, but since he's moved to our house we have made him a ramp so he has free access to the whole house, and started feeding him dandelions and such like from the garden rather than shop bought salad. he seems to have perked up a lot and now runs around at quite an amazing speed and amazes us with his climbing skills!
He's a really friendly little guy and we want to make sure he is as happy as possible so any information or advice about him would be greatly appreciated . . many thanks
NPhi9.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum looks like you got yourself a russian :)

lodge

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum looks like you got yourself a russian :)

wow thanks, i guess we had better start reading more about russians!
what makes you think it's a russian? is there a way we could get an idea of his rough age?
and has anyone got any advice on making a good habitat for him?
as i said he is in a vivarium at the moment, but has free access to the house so he only really seems to use it as a bedroom, or he just nips back in to bask under his lamp once in a while . .
he seems obsessed with climbing things! im getting quite used to finding him in really unlikely places already . .

OEnUg.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Agreed, looks to be in pretty good shape, if you wanna make him really happy you should tortoise proof the yard amd allow him some outside time.

lodge

5 Year Member
jtrux said:
Agreed, looks to be in pretty good shape, if you wanna make him really happy you should tortoise proof the yard amd allow him some outside time.

hello, thankyou we do let him run around in the garden when the weathers good, it's getting pretty wet and miserable here in the uk so he's house bound unless it's a really nice day.. when we were given him we were told he's not been hibernated (previous owners had him about 5years) Being new to tortoise care im not sure if this is good or not? should we try and hibernate him? if so how should we go about it? or is he ok staying up for the winter indoors with heat lamps?
sorry to bombard the forum with questions, but we want the best for him and you guys seem like the best place for advice:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lodge and welcome to the Fourm!

Your tortoise's species (not breed) is Agrionemys horsfieldii, common name Russian or steppe or Afghan tortoise.

It is best to provide him with a large indoor habitat where he has room to roam and exercise, then a safe and secure outdoor habitat for when weather is mild.

It's always a good rule of thumb to not allow your new-to-you tortoise to hibernate the first year you have him.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome nice looking Russian :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome!! There is loads of information about Russians on the forum. Use the handy dandy search engine and read read read!! Russians are a great species to have, my 5 are great fun.

lodge

5 Year Member
thankyou for all the reply's! i've been reading all i can and it's made me feel much better, he seems like a very happy tortoise!
im going to make him a new house as soon as i get the time i'll post some pictures when i do . .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and glad your here. Sounds like your Russian is being a pretty normal one with it's liking to climb. Please keep that in mind, when you make his enclosure. These guys are one of the best species, when it comes to being able to escape. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.