hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tprice2010

5 Year Member
:rolleyes:
  1. I have a Greek Tortoise who we love very much. He is about year and half old in the past few months he has begun digging and hiding in his bedding, not eating as good. We have been trying to exercise him more the pet shop says he needs a freind. Just looking for some help on what other people thinks. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "T" and welcome to the Forum!!

The pet shop is just trying to make a sale. Tortoises neither want or need "friends." They look upon other tortoises in their territory as interlopers, something to chase away.

Go back over all your husbandry practices...substrate, food, heat, lights...and make sure everything is the way it should be. I'm thinking maybe he's not warm enough.

Is there a way to make a safe and secure outdoor habitat for him. They really love being outside.

tprice2010

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi "T" and welcome to the Forum!!

The pet shop is just trying to make a sale. Tortoises neither want or need "friends." They look upon other tortoises in their territory as interlopers, something to chase away.

Go back over all your husbandry practices...substrate, food, heat, lights...and make sure everything is the way it should be. I'm thinking maybe he's not warm enough.

Is there a way to make a safe and secure outdoor habitat for him. They really love being outside.

Thanks for the information. We do take him out daily for his exercising. I will check over everything again to make sure things are working.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello and welcome! i have a sulcata so not much help with your greek but there are plenty of people on the forum that would be happy to help you with anything! good luck

tprice2010

5 Year Member
I have rescued a tortoise from a family with young children. They are not sure what type she is but I am pretty sure she is a female. The poor thing wouldn't come out of shell for a couple of days. We happened to be a pet store looking at fish when lady came in wanting to find home for her young grandson's turtle they had bought for them at first of year. Since we were already looking the lady at pet store told her to talk with me. They bought her at same pet store I bought our tortoise about month apart. They told her it was Russian tort but then one of the ladies working there told her it was really a Greek tort. When we went to get here she was dirty, very shy and one of the kids actually dropped her while we were there. So I couldn't leave her there, we bought her, she looks good as far as clear eyes, no runny nose and poop is good. They had never bathed her and her water bowl was very small, very small, she couldn't fit in it. My problem is I am not sure what kind she is or if she can be put with my current tortoise and now I am not sure if they knew what type of tortoise they sold me. Can anyone help me figure out what type of tortoise she is and the type my original tort is? Thanks!

tprice2010

5 Year Member
This is a new tort we rescued from a family with young children. She was very shy, dirty and needed a good home. I couldn't leave her there, one of the kids dropped while we were there. Can someone please help me identify what type she happens to be? Thanks!

Attachments

• airis.jpg
    airis.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 11

tprice2010

5 Year Member
In February we bought our 1st tortoise from a local pet shop. The store told us he was a Greek but now I am not so sure they knew what they were selling. We were talking with them the other day and they said that Russian and Greek torts are the same. I know that's not true but know can someone help me to identify him. Thanks so much!

MoireErin said:

Thanks for the great welcome. You sound like you love animals like my family. We have 3 dogs, 3 fish tanks- one is salt water, 2 torts now, one offspring and a hubby too. I do love my animals!!!!!:D:D

Maggie and Torie the Tort said:
Hello, welcome to the Forum!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• zeauspict.jpg
    zeauspict.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 6
  • zeaus2.jpg
    zeaus2.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tprice2010 said:
This is a new tort we rescued from a family with young children. She was very shy, dirty and needed a good home. I couldn't leave her there, one of the kids dropped while we were there. Can someone please help me identify what type she happens to be? Thanks!

This one is a Russian.

tprice2010 said:
In February we bought our 1st tortoise from a local pet shop. The store told us he was a Greek but now I am not so sure they knew what they were selling. We were talking with them the other day and they said that Russian and Greek torts are the same. I know that's not true but know can someone help me to identify him. Thanks so much!

This one looks like a Greek to me...but I'm not sure.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
tprice2010 said:
  1. I have a Greek Tortoise who we love very much. He is about year and half old in the past few months he has begun digging and hiding in his bedding, not eating as good. We have been trying to exercise him more the pet shop says he needs a freind. Just looking for some help on what other people thinks. Thanks!

I agree with the other post that the pet store just wants to make another sale. Slightly warm soaks several times a week is a great starting point. What have you been feeding your Greek?

tprice2010

5 Year Member
Irish said:
tprice2010 said:

I agree with the other post that the pet store just wants to make another sale. Slightly warm soaks several times a week is a great starting point. What have you been feeding your Greek?

I feed him romane lettuce, mixed baby greens, carrots and a fruit like apples or canalope occasionally not often. I do soak him at least once a week, he seems to be doing better is eating and walking around a lot more again. Not sure what the problem was other than we went on vacation and had someone caring for our animals. We were gone a week, when we came back he was acting different. They feed him the same and everything so not sure what the problem was.

Yvonne G said:
tprice2010 said:

This one is a Russian.

tprice2010 said:

This one looks like a Greek to me...but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help! I was thinking they were not the same type of tortoise. Can they be housed in the same area or should we have them separated. The new one is a lot smaller than the Greek, are Russians' usually smaller than Greeks?

tprice2010

5 Year Member
pam said:

Hello! Could you give me your opinion on what type tortoises we have? The more I read online to more confused I become. I have posted pictures above of them. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.