Substrate bedding & diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

albers1

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, My daughter just got a Russian Tortoise & I've been trying to read up on a good diet for him & bedding, apparently the pet store doesn't know much, I've seen post about substrate bedding, can anyone explain more about what this is??? & I was comtemplating buying plants that he can eat, but I read you have to have them for months b/f you can feed it to them??? Where do you find greens in the meantime???? HELP please:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming your new steppe tortoise is an adult and not a hatchling? If adult, you need a very large habitat for indoors. Outside would be much better. But if indoors, the substrate is what you put down on the floor of the habitat. You want at least 3" of substrate so the tortoise can dig down like they do in the wild. More than 3" is better, but that brings the bottom up close to the top and he might climb out.

You can buy dark, leafy greens in the produce section of the grocery store. If he's set up outside, he can eat any broad-leaf weeds or ground cover that grows in his pen. But indoors, escarole, endive, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc. A nice variety is best. Don't get stuck feeding the same thing every day.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! For my substrate I really like using those coir bricks (like Bed-aBeast) and add about 20% playsand. Others have different thoughts on the matter. Along with what Yvonne said about the greens, the best diet are those weeds you can find. Just be sure no chemicals have been used in your yard. Don't know if you have any mulberry trees or grape vines in your yard, but those leaves are great to feed too.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the forum, Russians are perfect torts for someone who is just getting started. Substrate is just anotherway of saying bedding. My Russians live outside but the hatchlings live inside and have a combination of half coco coir ( bed a beast type) and half organic topsoil i get from my local home depot. They live quite well on pesticide free weeds like dandelion and mallow. Succulents like sedum and hens and chicks. And grocery store greens. A basic spring mix is great. Just choose the one without spinach. Red leaf lettuce and a mix of veggies are always welcome. Anything high in sugar is a special treat and ahould only be given sparingle. A wide variety is always best for them and discourages picky eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.