New baby tortoise mama here :)

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey all! I am new here, from southern california and have 2 little baby desert tortoises. My gram has 2 that mate every year so this year i was lucky enough to get 2 of them. I have been trying to read up on what i need as far as substrate and have seen different things. Right now they just have paper towels flat and shredded for their bedding in a small tank. I plan on buying them a bigger tank today so am trying to figure out what all i need to do to make it perfect. I have seen to use cypress or orchid bark but then gave seen that they can carry mites and bugs? I have looked the the new set up thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-setup-good-read-for-beginners.661/ and that is amazing! We have dogs so no place to make something as neat as that so i have to go with a terrarium and try and make it somewhat as cool. Any and all help is welcomed as i know plenty about dogs and am trying to learn more about these babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn, and welcome to the Forum!

Please read the pinned threads shown at the top of our Sulcata section.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
hi am welcome. We love pics. I use coco coir and repti bark. I am not sure what kind of tort you have. I have a male russian. they need uva and uvb lights. I love the one that is all in one. look at the forum for indoor enclosures. there are alternatives to using a glass tank that are also cheaper. The people on here are great and will help you with everything. I am a newbie too. They don't seem to mind all my questions. How big are your babies. I use a terra cotta dish for the water.

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
My tortoises are california desert tortoises but would they be raised the same as sulcata? The varieties of tortoises dont help with my confusion. Lol thanks for the welcome! My babies r small, fit in the palm of my hand easily still. They just hatched over summer so still very young.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Many people refer to a multitude of species as "desert tortoises". Posting a couple of pics would be an easy way to verify what you have for sure, and get the right care info. Most websites for CDTs list old outdated info and will result in chronic dehydration for a hatchling or baby. The care info they suggest is really not even ideal for an adult in our captive environments.

I typed this care sheet for russians, but I house CDTs exactly the same in every way. It works exceedingly well for them too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Here is another care sheet and a thread warning of common mistakes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And finally, here is a great way to make the outdoor enclosure for young CDTs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

Please read these. The info in them will help you keep your baby alive and well.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jenn welcome to the TFO
From AZ . I also have AZ desert torts . And they are great !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421737213.874720.jpg

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks everyone and thanks @Tom, that is very helpful! Trying to think what all i need to buy and really all this stuff is greek to me still so having the exact links of what it is being talked about it making it much less confusing to me. My poor tortoises r deprived compared to all the habitats you all have but i will change that now. :) i see that so many make their habitats out of containers but we dont have a safe spot away from the pups to do that so i plan on buying a bigger tank (as big as will fit on the one table where they will be safe) today if timing works. Anyhow, question... This tank is 12" tall so with sbstrate the uv light will be a little closer than 12-13" is that ok? This is the one i want i think... http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/te...36-catid-500028?var_id=36-14957&_t=pfm=search Just want to be sure it will work ok. Otherwise theother one i looked at is the same but sits 18" tall so would be too far away.

Here is the only picture (hopefully it works) i have from when i first got them. It is still dark here now so cant get a better picture. Excuse the romaine, i dontfeed that anymore.image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those certainly look like CDTs to me. So the russian care sheets above will serve you perfectly.

The enclosure you linked above is no good. Much too small and the light fixtures mounted that way is not what you need. We need to get your mind out of the pet store and into the hardware store. Pet store product are mostly unsuitable for tortoises and some of the things they push are dangerous, like sand for substrate, ramped water bowls and coil type UV bulbs.

Get a large plastic tote or a Christmas tree storage box from Lowes or Home Depot. They make these things huge. Then get a couple of 4" terra cotta plant saucers. One for food and one for water. Next buy a single ceramic based light fixture and a digital timer. In the outdoor section you should find a small piece of slate or sandstone to put under your basking bulb. Here in SoCal with are warm sunny weather year round, you don't need indoor UV if you just get your babies out for some real sunshine for an hour or two a week. A half hour 3-or 4 times a week is enough, but an hour a day would be ideal. If you can do that, then just get a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store too. This will be your heat bulb. Set your timer for 12-13 hours a day and set the height of your bulb and fixture so that the temperature underneath it is around 95-100. They also sell remote probed wireless thermometers at the hardware store for $10-20. This will let you check temp and humidity all over the whole enclosure.

Two more stops. Maybe three. Go to Walmart and get a black plastic dishwashing tub. Flip it upside down, cut out a door hole with some scissors or a box cutter, and dampen the substrate under it. This will give you a humid hide. Walmart also sells digital light timers, bulbs and ceramic fixtures, if you didn't find anything suitable at the first hardware store. While at Walmart pick up a large "kiddie pool" for $15-20. This will serve as your outdoor sunning enclosure. You can use one indoors too if you want. Last stop would be a plant nursery near you. Buy a large bag of coco coir for about $12 and a large potted plant of some sort to go in the middle of your sunning enclosure and provide shade.

If outdoor sunning won't be possible then go online or to the pet store and buy a ZooMed Powersun mercury vapor bulb for heat, light and UV. You'll use this instead of the 65 watt bulb I spoke of earlier. In your house you should not need night heat for this species. Low 70s is fine for them at night as long as they can warm up during the day.

I type this up for sulcatas, but the same principles apply to DTs. Just use less emphasis on grass and more on weeds and succulents.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is that sunning enclosure I spoke of:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/

And another way to do it more securely:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

All this and more is in the previous links. Come back with any questions you might have.

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
Those certainly look like CDTs to me. So the russian care sheets above will serve you perfectly.

The enclosure you linked above is no good. Much too small and the light fixtures mounted that way is not what you need. We need to get your mind out of the pet store and into the hardware store. Pet store product are mostly unsuitable for tortoises and some of the things they push are dangerous, like sand for substrate, ramped water bowls and coil type UV bulbs.

Get a large plastic tote or a Christmas tree storage box from Lowes or Home Depot. They make these things huge. Then get a couple of 4" terra cotta plant saucers. One for food and one for water. Next buy a single ceramic based light fixture and a digital timer. In the outdoor section you should find a small piece of slate or sandstone to put under your basking bulb. Here in SoCal with are warm sunny weather year round, you don't need indoor UV if you just get your babies out for some real sunshine for an hour or two a week. A half hour 3-or 4 times a week is enough, but an hour a day would be ideal. If you can do that, then just get a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store too. This will be your heat bulb. Set your timer for 12-13 hours a day and set the height of your bulb and fixture so that the temperature underneath it is around 95-100. They also sell remote probed wireless thermometers at the hardware store for $10-20. This will let you check temp and humidity all over the whole enclosure.

Two more stops. Maybe three. Go to Walmart and get a black plastic dishwashing tub. Flip it upside down, cut out a door hole with some scissors or a box cutter, and dampen the substrate under it. This will give you a humid hide. Walmart also sells digital light timers, bulbs and ceramic fixtures, if you didn't find anything suitable at the first hardware store. While at Walmart pick up a large "kiddie pool" for $15-20. This will serve as your outdoor sunning enclosure. You can use one indoors too if you want. Last stop would be a plant nursery near you. Buy a large bag of coco coir for about $12 and a large potted plant of some sort to go in the middle of your sunning enclosure and provide shade.

If outdoor sunning won't be possible then go online or to the pet store and buy a ZooMed Powersun mercury vapor bulb for heat, light and UV. You'll use this instead of the 65 watt bulb I spoke of earlier. In your house you should not need night heat for this species. Low 70s is fine for them at night as long as they can warm up during the day.

I type this up for sulcatas, but the same principles apply to DTs. Just use less emphasis on grass and more on weeds and succulents.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

All this and more is in the previous links. Come back with any questions you might have.

My problem with buying the tubs/containers is there is no safe olace for them in our home. On our fireplace hearth would be great, if we didnt have 3 dogs. Other than that we have one table that a 40 gallon tank would fit on and fill completely. This is why i am wanting a terrarium. Money wise i would prefer not have to buy one... Lol i will look into everything else you posted as needs later when i get a chance, thank you so much for your help! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a closed chamber on its own stand would be perfect for you. The tortoises, lights and all equipment would be safely contained inside, out of reach of any other pets, and these make ideal conditions for the tortoises too.

Like this, but you can make it any size you want and you can easily adjust the humidity to any level you want:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
Wow, those r amazing! Have a lot to think about!

Another question... How often do the habitats need cleaned? Having plants planted in them must make it difficult? Is it better to have little pots for plants? I know the pill bugs help, will have to figure out how to find them.... We dont have them here much actually.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
If you have the right substrate, you shouldn't necessarily have to 'clean it out', just clear/scoop the parts that get soiled. If it would make you feel better to replace all of the substrate at once then putting plants in pots helps a lot :) especially if you want to create obstacles and such.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego

Excellent "how to" guide to housing your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, those r amazing! Have a lot to think about!

Another question... How often do the habitats need cleaned? Having plants planted in them must make it difficult? Is it better to have little pots for plants? I know the pill bugs help, will have to figure out how to find them.... We dont have them here much actually.

I spot clean my enclosures daily. With frequent soaking they usually poop in the water and seldom poop in the enclosure. When they do poop it he enclosure, I just remove it. I also clean the water bowls daily and remove uneaten food. With this routine I never clean out the enclosure and replace the substrate.