Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danfoxwell

100_0966.jpg

I have posted a couple of times but never introduced myself. My name is Dan and I have a male eastern box turtle named Samson. I have only had him for a month or so. I found him walking down a busy road. The area had recently had many acres of woods removed for construction. I was going to release him near my home until I read how territorial they are and that how he would try and get back to a home that no longer existed. He is staying in the house for the winter which is possibly the first time he has not hibernated. He is eating well now... he prefers worms and slugs but will eat tomatoes and some lettuces. I also have been giving him a calcium supplement. I will be building an outdoor pen come springtime, but for now he is doing well considering all that he has gone through!

PS I wish there was a turtle category in the photo contest, Samson is a natural ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan:

177817qip70wrto4.gif

to the forum!!

I agree, Samson would make a nice addition to the calendar. I had to go back and re-read the rules, and you're correct. It specifically states picture must be of a tortoise.

I have a few Eastern box turtles, but I have to admit, Samson is a beauty!

Yvonne

Traveller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Welcome and my what a handsome turtle!
Love the piercing eyes.
Can I ask what type of plants those are in his enclosure?

D

danfoxwell

Traveller said:
Love the piercing eyes.

The plant you can see is nasturtium, he also has some dandelion that i transplanted from the yard, pansies, collards, and sage. He hasnt eaten anything from the live plants yet. I am pretty sure that all the plants in his home are safe

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome, everyone is correct, he is a beautiful turtle. Might I suggest you also offer him cantaloupe and some berries like blueberries and blackberries?

D

danfoxwell

maggie3fan said:
Welcome, everyone is correct, he is a beautiful turtle. Might I suggest you also offer him cantaloupe and some berries like blueberries and blackberries?

I have tried strawberry, banana, bluberries, cantaloupe, he hasnt touched them. I even leave them in his area for a day or two. I have been resorting to chopping up various veg/fruit into a small dice, putting a worm on his eating stone and covering the worms with the diced vegetables. He sometimes bites some vegs when he is trying to bite the worms. I have even went as far as to cover the worms with honey and roll them in the diced vegs so the vegs stick to the worm better...lol

Traveller said:
Love the piercing eyes.

There is also dianthus that you can see :)

ShareCious

5 Year Member
I agree, Samson would accomplish a nice accession to the calendar. I had to go aback and re-read the rules, and you're correct. It accurately states account have to be of a tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.