Hello from a non-tortoise owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainGirl

5 Year Member
Hi all. I don't actually have a tortoise, just pets of the mammalian kind, mostly rescues! But I do look after a friend's tortoise from time to time and his menagerie of other turtles and reptiles. She's under the care of a veterinarian for a chronic respiratory infection so thought I'd join here to lurk and learn!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). If you can give us some info on your friends sick tort, species, temps, humidity, age, size, anything you can think of, we maybe able to help.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO and you don't have to have a tort or turtle to
Join

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
A tort lover is always welcome.
Hopefully you can help your friend help the tort.
What kind is it?

Ann from CT

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Non-tortoise owner? Ha ha! Not.For.Long.
I think it is great that you found TFO while researching for your friend's tortoise. You rock! : )

BrainGirl

5 Year Member
She is a Greek tortoise, about 2 years old? I'll have to check the age for you, pretty sure he knows her actual birthday. As for size, her shell is about 3" long and 2" wide at a guess, maybe a little more. I don't know the numbers on the humidity and temperature but I can check all that tomorrow. I do know it's not terribly humid or dry and it's a very comfortable temperature year round with good air circulation. She was one of 6 tortoises that came together and she was the only sick one, has been from the beginning. I think that's why he kept her. I know for sure that her appetite is good! She gets mixed greens and cactus pads, plus whatever the special vitamin or mineral supplement dust she's supposed to get as well as a special powdered greens supplement that he orders from the breeder.

To try to eliminate anything that might be affecting her he took her off the wood chip substrate she had been living on shortly after she was diagnosed and now keeps her on a layer of paper towels that he changes regularly. She has a large fake wood hide, 3 different kinds of lamps (1 fluorescent for reptiles, one heat lamp, 1 some other specialty reptile light) and a plastic dish that is washed regularly. Plus she gets baths. I can't remember how often but she gets put in about half an inch of lukewarm water. She seems to really enjoy that :)

Thank-you all for the warm welcome! And BeeBee*BeeLeaves your comment made me laugh :) I'm sorry to disappoint you but it's not going to happen, not with chinchillas and hamsters and cats taking up all my time! And no doubt more to come; I have a soft spot for the neglected and mistreated rodents among us. I will continue to enjoy my friend's tortoises, turtles, and terrapins at a distance. I can visit whenever I like and a couple of them have come to know me and to recognize that I too have the power to feed them ;)

BrainGirl

5 Year Member
I've got a few details for you! The temperature in the room she's in is kept at around 80F/27C and the humidity is about 60%. Her red heat lamp has been taken away though I didn't think to ask why. She still has the white lamp for heat though and her fluorescent reptile light.

Status
Not open for further replies.