Hello from St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

huff747

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glen Carbon, IL
Figured I'd introduce myself as I lurk and read more. Live in the St. Louis area which I realize isn't prime tortoise raising climate but I don't foresee myself moving someplace warmer so it'll have to do.

I've had a Redfoot tortoise for a few of years now. I use to keep/breed a lot of ball pythons as well as a few burms and retics, etc. Trying to keep up with work, growing kids, and a basement full of snakes started to wear on me so I eventually downsized on the snakes. I recently picked up a young leopard and a sulcata (housed separately) and have zero plans to try and get into breeding them. Did that with the balls and eventually it started to zap the fun out of them so these are purely pets.

Just figured I'd join rather than lurk.

Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! St Louis isn't all that bad for tortoises and we have quite a few members from that area. How did you decide upon the leopard and the sulcata to add to the redfoot tortoise you already had? Of the three, which are you liking the best?

huff747

5 Year Member
Glen Carbon, IL
I actually had a couple leopards before I had the redfoot. I got them as small babies, had books, caresheets, etc, and feel I did everything as instructed and they didn't thrive. After some time I picked up the redfoot to give it another go. He was admitedly a bit of an impulse buy but I had read up on them as an option when I got the previous leopards. My basement was more well furnished with tubs, substrates, fixtures, and the like than many petstores so I had the equipment on hand to house him.

Figured I'd try the leopard again now that the snakes aren't consuming my time since I was able to keep the redfoot alive and I believe thriving pretty well. Didn't want to end up with a pair of anything and be tempted into breeding them someday which is why I picked different species. And a local reptile specialty petstore I frequent has had sulcatas they've raised for the last few years and when I stop in and look in their enclosure usually at least one comes hustling towards me so they seemed personable.

So that's how I ended up with one of each. Hate to admit to having a favorite but so far it's probably got to be the sulcata. It'll readily take any food out of my hand. I've read the leopards are more shy and it has taken food from me once but so far the sulcata is at least acting like it doesn't mind my presence too much. The redfoot doesn't seem to mind me but hasn't ever really been very interested in taking anything from me either.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) If they are little ones, the threads at the bottom of my post are all great reads for both leopard and Sullies. They are Toms, forum member.

huff747

5 Year Member
Glen Carbon, IL
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) If they are little ones, the threads at the bottom of my post are all great reads for both leopard and Sullies. They are Toms, forum member.

Thanks. The new additions are little guys. I've been through the first two threads and am 20+ pages into the humidity/pyramiding one and ready to go home and directly mist the little ones.

I've misted my redfoot for years, use cypress mulch, and I've been soaking the new arrivals but hadn't been providing that level of humidity to them as most of what I had read before getting to this site was against it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sulcatas do seem to have pretty always a great personality. I hope your leopard will also become friendly. I have an adult male leopard that is more outgoing then the sulcatas I have. The sulcatas tend to leave me alone once food is not involved. The leopard sticks next to you and "helps". He especially likes to move around and knock over the garbage can being used to collect grass/weeds I have cut or rose branches. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi huff747, and welcome to the Forum!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. You have your hands full. Sulcatas are a handful too. How do you plan on accommodating a sully once it's gotten too big to keep inside? As a side note, if you own a dog, plan on getting a dog, or have people's dogs visit your home, then you should read Tom's thread below my name. West wishes to you.

huff747

5 Year Member
Glen Carbon, IL
sibi said:
Hi and welcome. You have your hands full. Sulcatas are a handful too. How do you plan on accommodating a sully once it's gotten too big to keep inside? As a side note, if you own a dog, plan on getting a dog, or have people's dogs visit your home, then you should read Tom's thread below my name. West wishes to you.

I actually feel I have it a lot easier now. At one point I had 200+ ball pythons a trio of retics with females that were probably 60lbs & 80lbs+, a significant number of rodents, and the redfoot. Now I just have 3 tortoises. I appreciate the concern on accommodation but since I have sold all of my snakes and their enclosures I have significant space in which to set up some pretty sizable indoor habitats.

I do have a dog and she is not around the other animals unless she is with me.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I live in a colder climate region as well in the midwest (South Dakota) And I also have a leopard, Just a hatchling. but do you're best to get them outside as much as possible in the summer, maybe have a little enclosure to put them out in, as well as the sully. Not much else we can do during the winter but keep them inside. But the 3-4 months they can be outside is better than nothing eh? :) Good luck and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.