Hello from Alabama, new tortoise keeper

GrumpieOldman

Hi everyone,
My daughter and I just received a russian tortoise. We have never kept tortoise before so we have been trying to do our research and I have almost completed his/her indoor/cold weather table. I am almost doen but I am really struggling with how to effectively heat it. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Where are you from ? Do we get to see Picts of the tort and its enclosure ? But I would use this to heat itImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426645325.948301.jpgand I wouldn't use this at all !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426645367.935988.jpg hope I've helped alittle !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. This is the great place to learn and share. I learn a lot by browsing lots of threads.

Welcome! ! !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). The most used heating eauipment is the CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and the MVB ( Mercury vapor bulb)
Read the care sheet at the being of the russian section.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
you will find the care sheets and enclosures section very helpful.
I think that some of the world's greatest authorities on tortoises reside on this site, they are kind, helpful and friendly and if you have any questions at all, however trivial they may seem, do not hesitate to ask and an answer will be provided.
Welcome to the wonderful, world of tortoise keeping, it can be difficult to begin, but you will soon reap the benefits of caring for ..one of these fantastic creatures.
I am in training to be a grumpy old man myself, and doing rather well, or so my wife tells me.
Love your tort and enjoy!

GrumpieOldman

Thanks all, We are in Birmingham AL. I'm glad to have found this place. I just posted in the russian section, here is our guy

IMG_20150306_172925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! What part of Alabama are you from . My family is from Pell City.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm hoping that the tortoise was just blinking at the same moment you snapped the picture. With his eye showing closed, it makes me think there is something wrong with him. Does he usually have both eyes open and have a bright look on his face?

Also, I think you have a bit too much sand in your substrate mixture. I would buy some coco coir and mix it in. Sand is drying, abrasive, an eye irritant and might cause impaction if he eats too much of it stuck to his food.

GrumpieOldman

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm hoping that the tortoise was just blinking at the same moment you snapped the picture. With his eye showing closed, it makes me think there is something wrong with him. Does he usually have both eyes open and have a bright look on his face?

Also, I think you have a bit too much sand in your substrate mixture. I would buy some coco coir and mix it in. Sand is drying, abrasive, an eye irritant and might cause impaction if he eats too much of it stuck to his food.
Yep, he's sleeping

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hello and welcome, I too live here in Alabama. The forum is great for all sort of questions you may have.

Also WAR EAGLE!!!