Hello from New Orleans

NolaLeigh

Hi -- have read many posts on your forum. What a great resource! My husband and I really wanted a Sulcata, but eventually decided that our smallish back garden would not be big enough for her eventual adult size and digging ability. We live in New Orleans -- warm and humid. Do you guys have a suggestion for a tortoise that would work in this climate? A leopard maybe? We currently do not have any pets, but were really enchanted by the sulcata we met and keep thinking about the possibility.

Thanks for all the great information on this site!

Leigh

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Leigh, and welcome to the forum!

If you want a sulcata, go for it. Just keep in mind that eventually a large animal such as he will be, will damage your landscaping.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome to the forum:) Sulcatas are wonderful and have great personalities, but do require space outdoors as they grow. I have enjoyed all species I have owned, but my Sulcatas in my personal oninion only, are like my dogs...they follow me around, sit on my lap, are great with my kids.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Leigh I'm from Houma south of you. First of all welcome. I care for sulcatas, leopards, and hermanns. Only my sulcatas are full grown but my young leopards are doing well. As long as a nice heated shelter is available then both sulcatas and leopards can do well in this area for the majority of the year. I do make sure that my adults retreat into their heated shed every night just in case.

PS. I am incubating some sulcata eggs right now that should hatch in late february-early march if you are interested in locally breed ones. I have three seperate clutches so I'm expecting at least 40 hatchlings between March and May. I just wanted to give you that option

ImageUploadedByTortForum1390600510.787611.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390600528.174538.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390600551.010396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NolaLeigh

Yvonne G said:
Hi Leigh, and welcome to the forum!

If you want a sulcata, go for it. Just keep in mind that eventually a large animal such as he will be, will damage your landscaping.

Thank you, Yvonne. I just think our small backyard is not big enough for all the walking a sulcata probably needs. I'm hoping to find some other tort that could be happy with what we have have offer. I'm sure there is a good match out there!

NolaLeigh

TortieLuver said:
Welcome to the forum:) Sulcatas are wonderful and have great personalities, but do require space outdoors as they grow. I have enjoyed all species I have owned, but my Sulcatas in my personal oninion only, are like my dogs...they follow me around, sit on my lap, are great with my kids.

Thank you for the welcome! The Sulcatas really are special, but I am hoping I can find a species not quite so challenging that will still be at least a little outgoing. Since you have owned other species, do you think another tort might work?

Laura Leigh

NolaLeigh

diamondbp said:
Leigh I'm from Houma south of you. First of all welcome. I care for sulcatas, leopards, and hermanns. Only my sulcatas are full grown but my young leopards are doing well. As long as a nice heated shelter is available then both sulcatas and leopards can do well in this area for the majority of the year. I do make sure that my adults retreat into their heated shed every night just in case.

PS. I am incubating some sulcata eggs right now that should hatch in late february-early march if you are interested in locally breed ones. I have three seperate clutches so I'm expecting at least 40 hatchlings between March and May. I just wanted to give you that option

Your pics are impossibly cute! Do the Leopards do okay outside in the humidity we have in South Louisiana? I have read that high humidity can cause respiratory problems for them. What do you think?

Leigh

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I have 3 sullies, and I have a large back yard. So, you are smart to think this out. If personality is what you're looking for personality while being manageable for space, I would go with a red foot tortoise. Those that own rt say they rock!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If they are raised with higher humidity and kept warm while experiencing high humidity then leopards will do just fine down here. It's cold and wet that you want to avoid.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have three red foots they are amazing tortoises . They come to see whats going on every time I go into the enclosure . They love to have there heads scratched . They only get to about fourteen inches or so and love the humidity . Plus they are a beautiful red legged tortoise . Here is a picture of my babies .

Attachments

• 1390608565034.jpg
    1390608565034.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 1390608583654.jpg
    1390608583654.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Laura Leigh welcome to the TFO from AZ . I would sugest either yellow foots or red foots . And sence they eat some fruit take them to Burbon st for wine :)

NolaLeigh

sibi said:
Hi and welcome. I have 3 sullies, and I have a large back yard. So, you are smart to think this out. If personality is what you're looking for personality while being manageable for space, I would go with a red foot tortoise. Those that own rt say they rock!

Thank you for the suggestion! I had seen a baby at a pet store and asked about it, and the owner said they would never be able to stay outside. I wonder if that is really true? I will definitely do some research on the red foots. The baby was adorable, of course.

Leigh

NolaLeigh

diamondbp said:
If they are raised with higher humidity and kept warm while experiencing high humidity then leopards will do just fine down here. It's cold and wet that you want to avoid.

Thank you! That is very encouraging!

NolaLeigh

mike taylor said:
I have three red foots they are amazing tortoises . They come to see whats going on every time I go into the enclosure . They love to have there heads scratched . They only get to about fourteen inches or so and love the humidity . Plus they are a beautiful red legged tortoise . Here is a picture of my babies .

Oh my goodness! Cute Overload! Thank you for the pics -- I really must look into these.

NolaLeigh

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Laura Leigh welcome to the TFO from AZ . I would sugest either yellow foots or red foots . And sence they eat some fruit take them to Burbon st for wine :)

Thank you for the welcome! I am sure that a tortoise on Bourbon Street would not be the wackiest thing there!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your weather is almost the same as ours in Houston . The only thing I do to keep my reds happy in the summer is the misting system I have . They can't deal with the high temperatures so cooling mist is the trick . Where are you in La. I'm going to Monroe La. In a week or so for business .