Hello from New Zealand....

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Hi everyone and a big hello from New Zealand
There is not a tortoise forum in New Zealand in fact tortious are pretty rear. Government rules prohibit tortoise from been imported, the few that are here are descendants from a few old originals that came to New Zealand many many years ago.
I have two Hermann youngsters, one and a half years old. When my brother and I were kids we kept skinks (lizards) as pets and I have always liked reptiles. Now that I am older and can afford to keep tortoise I have brought to fruition my life long interest in Torty and finally have two.
Basically you can only get Hermann and Greek Spur Thighed torty here and they are been breed more often now. There is one or two other variety's been breed but are impossible to get.
In New Zealand Torty are kept outside all year around and they hibernate outdoors or in sheds. My two are just winding down now as we go further into Autumn, I'm pretty nervous about it all.

I have lots of question but will spend some time reading the forum first to learn more.
Picture is of the two littlies coming out of their travel box for the first time, there was bit of a rush so we came out sideways..!!

10152633_747559551921221_1478378917_n.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes I've noticed most people on here feed big leaves to the torts and then complain that the torts won't eat or pick what they want to eat

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

I have 1.2 hermanns. They are fun species.

Good to have you here, You got it right, This is a great place to learn and share. The oranges on the last photo are just for show. Citrus are never good for any Tortoise. I hope I did not mislead anyone.

photo14.JPGPhoto19.JPG Photo21.JPG photo28.JPG 开吃-0.JPG

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They look so cute! It's hard to remember (atleast for me) that as we are now coming out of winter, that other parts of the world are just heading into it. Sure glad you decided to join our forum. :)

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Hello and Welcome.

I have 1.2 hermanns. They are fun species.

Good to have you here, You got it right, This is a great place to learn and share. The oranges on the last photo are just for show. Citrus are never good for any Tortoise. I hope I did not mislead anyone.

View attachment 78100View attachment 78101 View attachment 78102 View attachment 78103 View attachment 78104
Hi - Thanks to everyone for the welcome.
Hi Bouaboua - can you tell me what you have sprinkled over the torty food and how many yaritys of greens/veg etc you feed each day. I have been feeding five varitys, is that overkill. Thx

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hi - Thanks to everyone for the welcome.
Hi Bouaboua - can you tell me what you have sprinkled over the torty food and how many yaritys of greens/veg etc you feed each day. I have been feeding five varitys, is that overkill. Thx

It is ZOOMED Grassland Tortoise pellets (water it a little) or the Hay "power" I made myself by using an old blender to pulverize mix of Timothy hay (50%), Orchard Hay (25%) and Bermuda Hay (25%). We feed every other day and mixed in every time we feed.

I mixed with all kinda broad leaf greens and grape leaf, dandelion, fresh grass all cut into pieces.

This is their lunch today...

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
It is ZOOMED Grassland Tortoise pellets (water it a little) or the Hay "power" I made myself by using an old blender to pulverize mix of Timothy hay (50%), Orchard Hay (25%) and Bermuda Hay (25%). We feed every other day and mixed in every time we feed.

I mixed with all kinda broad leaf greens and grape leaf, dandelion, fresh grass all cut into pieces.

This is their lunch today...

View attachment 78143 View attachment 78144 View attachment 78145 View attachment 78146
ok thanks for that, the torty look like they are ploughing into their lunch. I live on a farm so hay is not a problem, I will try blending some into fine chaff. Thanks for the tip - I know we can get reptile pellets in New Zealand, unsure about the tortoise pellets, will investigate further . Food importation rules are really strict here.
Many thanks - Wendy

Cherepakha

Portugal
That is funny, my tort doesn't eat when I chop up the food into little bits, but devours her food when leaving it in one piece!
Brocoli, cabbage leaves, carrots, the lots!
Anyway, welcome to the forum!