Hello from PiccaDilly!!!

Jamee

Location (City and/or State)
North Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,
I am a brand new owner (as of today) of a baby Sully!! His/Her name is Piccadilly! We live in Eastern Pennsylvania so we get pretty darn cold during the winter months! Now that it is getting warmer outside,Dilly can spend lots and lots of time outdoors! Indoors, Dilly is in a 55 gallon aquarium. I know he won't be in this very long so we are already planning on a bigger enclosure for him!! He has a 150 watt Power Sun, A basking bulb, and I just ordered the long UVB bulb (because I was a dummy and bought him a coil bulb which will do its job until the other gets here in two days. He also has a humid hide, a slate basking rock, a terra cotta potter turned on its side for a hidey place. Also his food and water dish. I am in the process of growing him plants from seeds so I can replant directly into his enclosure. Hos average temp inside is 80 to 85 degrees with about 75-80 percent humidity. His basking spot reaches 95 degrees. His substrate is a combination of coco coir, cypress mulch and dirt from my yard (we do not use any fertilizer or weed killer because of our koi pond) I do have to cover his enclosure today but I was so excited to introduce us!! I have building and working and researching for 3 months for what is best for him! He eats leafy greens, dandelion greens, mazuri pellets soaked and mushed. I also have calcium powder and vitamins for him as well. PiccaDilly has a smiley face on his shell as you can see in the one picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 10

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Jamee
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492628626.815065.jpg
You say you don't use fertilizer but I hope you use some of the water from the Koi pond !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I'm confused. I don't see a koi pond, so how did Grandpa Turtle 144 know?
Anyway, isn't the power sun a UVB bulb? If it is you don't need another one. Be sure this summer your little one is only outside for like an hour or so with plenty of shade. The closed chamber is better for him for the first two years at least. Then spending the nights in it and days outside until he's old enough to stay outside with heated winter quarters of course.

Jamee

North Eastern Pennsylvania
Oh!! I mentioned his substrate as a combo of coco noir, cypress mulch and dirt from outdoors. We don't use fertilizer or weed killer because of the koi pond. In the winter months, isn't more UVB better with 2 bulbs? It is still pretty cold here, only getting one day every two weeks that he will be able to get outside which should change in the month or so. I just want the very best for Dilly!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @Jamee and a warm welcome to the forum.

What a gorgeous little tort you have! GOD bless.